Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51643 May 25th, 2007 at 03:56 PM
OP Offline
I was just out inspecting my dogwood bushes and came across something that looked like a wad of spit that had landed on the bush, right near the node. Upon closer inspection, maybe 40% of the nodes have this. Some are dripping, some not. I'd post a picture, but was unable to get a good one so close up.
Any idea what this is??? Do I need to worry about it spreading to my other bushes? I pruned them WAY back last fall to get them 'bushier'. Could that be the problem?

ShadyLadyMN #51851 May 25th, 2007 at 09:49 PM
Spittle bug infestations. Knock out all the foam with a forceful jet of water. Spittle bug is a nusiance bug. If they spread just keep spraying. Pruning has nothing to do with their appearance. If nodes are still tender support the stem while spraying with a jet of water.

herbalyn #51885 May 26th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
We call it cuckoo-spit over here. its produced in early spring/summer by the froghopper, or 'cuckoo-spit insect' which lives inside the froth and sucks on the plant's sap (have a close look at the spit and you'll see the bug!). It doesnt do any damage though, but as mentioned above, is easy to get rid of with a blast of the hose!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image