Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50496 May 24th, 2007 at 12:54 AM
OP Offline
I AM TRYING TO GROW VEGETABLES IN POTS IN A GLASSED VESTIBULE AT MY OFFICE. I AM UNABLE TO PLACE THE POTS OUTSIDE BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL WOODCHUCKS LIVING CLOSE BY THAT VISIT DAILY.

MOST GROWTH IS STUNTED,POOR PRODUCING AND GOES TO seed VERY QUICKLY. I'M CURIOUS WHETHER ANYONE HAS EXPLANATIONS. I'VE HEARD LACK OF DIRECT SUN, INADEQUATE OXYGEN, AND HIGH HEAT. I'D ALSO BE INTERESTED IN SUGGESTIONS. AFTER SNOWPEAS, BROCCOLI, AND SPINICH FAILED, I'VE JUST PLANTED TOMATOS, BEANS, LETTUCE, AND CUCUMBERS, HOPING THESE WARMER WEATHER PLANTS WILL DO BETTER.

ALSO, HAVE INFESTATION OF SMALL GREEN INSECTS IN ONE OF THE POTS. CONCERN FOR SPREADING TO OTHERS. INSECTS ARE IN THE SOIL, NOT ON THE PLANT. COME TO THE SURFACE WITH WATERING.
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NATURAL CONTROL?

THANK YOU. I'M A NEW MEMBER AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST.

when i started my seedlings in late march/early april, i experimented with trying to grow lettuce indoors (i want salad year round!). I got a plastic container (for storing toys/sweaters) at the dollar store and filled it about halfway (about three inches deep) with potting mix. I scattered seed and put it under fluorescent light (quite close to the top of the container, on a chain so I could later raise the light, always keeping it within a couple of inches of the tops of the plants). more days than not, the light is on for 24 hours. watering was a mix of sprayer and watering can - mostly responding to how the plants looked and how the soil felt, and every two weeks i added a little "food" to the water. i dunno whether it matters, but the basement is cool (in the temperature sense; the basement is most definitely NOT "kewl").

within days, seeds were germinating and I've been enjoying beautiful & delicious mixed lettuces (loose leaf) for at least the past six weeks. There's no sign of bolting and all the heads are still producing nicely. All of the other seedlings have moved outside (the first went in the ground today!!) and i've direct seeded lettuce outside, but i'm going to continue the basement greens. in fact, i'm going to start a second container so that there's a continuous supply.

the best part is that my late night snack can now be freshly picked salad without having to grab a flashlight and go outside.

i don't know which of these things mattered, but i'm pretty sure that the fluorescent light, the potting mix (as opposed to soil) and the light feedings all were part of the success.

good luck!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,860
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image