Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48292 May 20th, 2007 at 08:12 AM
OP Offline

Hello ,
My name is Marie ( Ree). I live in Southern New Jersey right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. I have a question( problem) that i was hoping can be answered here. I want to let you know that i am so grateful that i came across the group and look forward to getting to know you all, helping some of you if i can and getting the help i need to make my garden thrive. Thank you!
Have a great day!
Ok...my question/problem is.....We built a really nice small space next to our deck with beautiful river rocks and put in wonderful topsoil and planted a bunch of flowers and everything died. someone told me it is because i planted them under our Cedar Tree.....now when i say under , it is directly underneath but the trees are huge so the garden gets all morning and a good part of the afternoon with full sun. Can anyone help me with this problem...is there anything i can plant under cedar that will grow.
I guess i should tell you that the very end of the garden that does not sit direclty under the cedar thrived with the same plants we have in the rest of the spot.....they were sunflowers and geraniums and morning glories.
HELP!
Thanks,
Ree

I am a happily married mother of 5. A SAHM that works here for our plumbing business. I am the Philly area coordinator for Project Children ( projectchildren.com) and have been a host mother for the org. for 8 yrs. We bring children from N. Ireland to the US for 4 weeks every summer. I am 100% of Irish descent by blood.
I love the spiritual connection i get from gardening.
#48404 May 20th, 2007 at 09:44 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy ree, welcome, and please ask your question down in the either the landscaping area or the plants and flowers area. i don't know your answer, but i'm sure someone there will!

#48503 May 20th, 2007 at 12:08 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
The problem with growing plants under cedar trees is twofold...the tree roots use up most of the available water and cedar parts use up the nitrogen in the soil when they decompose. Here is what I would do. I would create a raised bed area under the tree and fill it with compost (not topsoil). That will give the plants a better chance of retaining water. Then, I would fertilize the plants on a regular basis with a high nitrogen fertilizer (also high in potash for blooms).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you all for the welcomes and the advice! Alan i will try the nitrogen...we already have the bed raised! I will post pictures if it all works out!
Have a wonderful week!
~ Ree~

I am a happily married mother of 5. A SAHM that works here for our plumbing business. I am the Philly area coordinator for Project Children ( projectchildren.com) and have been a host mother for the org. for 8 yrs. We bring children from N. Ireland to the US for 4 weeks every summer. I am 100% of Irish descent by blood.
I love the spiritual connection i get from gardening.
irishree #50510 May 24th, 2007 at 02:45 AM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Hello wavy
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.

[Linked Image]

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
did you plant the morning glories directly into the soil or did you try to transplant them? Morning glories don't transplant all that well.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image