Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50371 May 23rd, 2007 at 05:18 PM
OP Offline
I was wondering what other people do for spacing of their veggies. I actually jotted down how far apart I planted everything this year. I really had to cram with ingenuity. If it is moist I suppose I could have fungal problems, but I will keep up with the spray.
potatoes are 15 in apart.
tomatoes 24 inches
onions 6 inches apart with 3 rows together and a 1 foot space between the 3 kinds
peppers 12 inches with 18 inches between rows.
I planted the peppers in blocks and hope I can get in to pick them
leeks about 4 inches
pac choi 12 inches
summer squash about 15 inches?
napa cabbage about 10 inches
broccoli rabe about 12 inches
fennel about 8-10 inches

So for intense planting how do those figures sound? If you don't have all the room you want how close do you plant?

Tamara from Minnesota #50490 May 23rd, 2007 at 08:37 PM
I do most rows 24 inches apart for carrots, peas, & bush beans. That leaves a skinny isle to walk down. I cheated since I do computer drafting at work I spent some lunch breaks this winter laying out the things I wanted to grow on a full scale. I drew all the plants I've grown in the past to a size I know they grow to. Then plot them out to see how much I can plant with in the space I have available and still be able to access them when they are fully grown. I have to fence the perimeter so the best plan for me was a isle down the middle which left me with 6 feet on each side of the isle to do all the rows. Tomatoes only left me with 2 in each row(24 inches) and I spaced each row 36 inches apart.

I am trying potatoes in a raised bed this year and I did the same you 16 inches apart in rows 24 inches apart.

Its always tempting to plant more, but it gets tuff when the plants get bigger than planned and you have to step on some to get to the ones you want for harvesting. Hopefully I don't have that problem this year.

Tamara from Minnesota #50491 May 23rd, 2007 at 08:44 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts

Wild Willy #51189 May 24th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
OP Offline
I don't agree with the onion recommendation. Mine could have grown bigger if they were further apart. I did 4" last year and 6 this year. I usually have to work at getting to everything when grown, but I am small. I tend to step on stuff now and again. notme

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image