Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
They have put out new shoots but they are very short. Like a couple of inches. With this be enough for them to grow flowers this year? Or how big do they have to get? I'm anxious to have one of my produce flowers can you tell?

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
what kind of orchids are they? siberian, bearded, etc? how much sun do they get? and did you just plant them last fall or this spring - either a new plant or moved them from elsewhere in the yard?

when i got my orchids, the package said they wouldn't bloom until the third year. i planted them in two bunches of 3 and moved one bunch the second year. the bunch that i didn't move bloomed the third year and the bunch that i moved bloomed the fourth year. i've got bearded iris with the big rhizome.

i just got another iris as a trade - it's got a different type of rhizome - not the big chunky thing like what i already had. it's got some new growth. not much tho so i don't expect it to bloom this year - hopefully it will next year tho.

the siberian type i'm not familiar with - i did get seeds in a trade and they definitely won't bloom for a few years (the bulb has to have time to develop). the siberian type also need moister soil than the bearded type.

Zone 6b
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Are you sure your talking about orchids? It sounds like you are talking about irises. I'm confused.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I remember reading that when I first got my orchid. It's good information. It's just that mine are only a couple of inches tall and although they are growing new shoots that are equally short they aren't growing any taller and I wondered if they will flower this year. I got them last year so I've had them for about a year now.

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
wow! i didn't even pick up on the orchid/iris thing. even in my post!!

why

k. so, are you talking about an orchid or iris?

if orchid, what kind?

Zone 6b
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
one is called a golden shower. The other two are wild orchids from Maylasia and Nor didn't know their names. One is white and one is purple and that is all I know about them. Nor put up pictures of them on the old website but I don't have any idea what the name of the post was or anything.

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
are you misting them every day? if not, try that and see if that helps with the growth. if you post pics, i may be able to get a friend (who collects orchids) to identify them for you.

Zone 6b
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
my camera is pretty broken. I don't think I could get a picture with it. But thankyou for the thought. Yes I mist them and they sit in a humidity tray. I also give them orchid feed every second saturday for twenty minutes in a bath. Then let them drain.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
yes the purple one is one of the ones I'm suppose to have. And then a white one shaped the same way.

Funny when ever I try and search over there I end up at an FYI that post is in the archives.

Your great Cindy. Thanks for finding that and posting a link to it. I really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image