Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50164 May 23rd, 2007 at 08:38 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Is this good soil to replace some of the old tired dirt with? I'm toying with putting some plants up higher on the hill side but the soil is pretty much clay up there and would need to be replaced with something better.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #50190 May 23rd, 2007 at 09:53 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Tammy If your clay is similar to the red clay like in GA/TN.You will want to MIX the soil in with the clay&I'd add some leaf matter as well& maybe add some small rocks to help with drainage.I have used the soil under the compost pile.Now by removeing soil and adding new in its place......NO NO girl.Its like a container& it won't drain well and some plants could rot.I'd say ask my mom....but she'd never admitt it,but would tell ya whats its like useing a pick axe to make a hole for a plant...then ask me why it died& not like it when sis agreed with me& not her.Gypson can help too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #50302 May 23rd, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I was just wondering if the soil underneath the compost pile would be full of nutrients and good to grow plants in. I know it softened up that clay that was there. It looks much more like usable soil now. But I'm not sure so I wanted to check.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image