Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28319 Apr 21st, 2007 at 05:41 PM
GenieGA Offline OP
OP Offline
Help! We've been in our house 3 yrs. and I've spent a lot of time pruning our foundation plants every year. They are the VERY large type of azaleas. They are beautiful when they bloom, but otherwise they just look over-grown.
I have corrected improper pruning (probably with a chain saw!) and pruned them drastically to promote interior growth, but I really think they need to be transplanted to the edge of the yard.
Since they are over 10 feet now (just since last year), do I need to prune them back drastically again and then transplant them or prune them severely and transplant in the fall?
Your advice would be appreciated!
Tired of pruning in Georgia.

GenieGA #28683 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 04:44 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
i've never seen an azalea that big. My landlord has some at another property and he took them down because they cracked his foundation. So it is a good thing you are moving them. I would prune after flower but wait to move them until the fall. And be in for a fight. If they are like my landlords they have really long tough roots.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #49765 May 22nd, 2007 at 12:07 PM
I've started many Azaleas from naturally rooted stems and find them to be hardy, so I wouldn't worry too much about cutting them back and transplanting now. If the central roots are simply too unweildy, I wouldn't be concerned about whether the mother plant survives--you should be able to start many others. If the area you're moving them to is very sunny, create a partial tent to block some of the light and keep watered well this year.

"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and disaster is the strength of that pudding skin." Jack Handey
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
azalea (and rhododendron, too) can easily grow to 12 feet (or more) if left to grow as they will (ie, not pruned into any certain type of shape). they take many years to get that big tho...

i see a ton of very large specimens on my way to/from work. personally, i don't really like them because, as you said, after they flower they just look so raggedy.

i DO enjoy my drive to work tho, when these huge plants are in bloom tho!! some sections i drive through are quite shaded and full of trees and non-flowering shrubs. the azalea's really put an amazing bright spot there in all the shade and it's always a surprise to see them as you come around a curve in the road - even when you know that they're there. seems like they bloom overnight!

if yours are that big, then they're pretty old and the root system will be very well established. i'd cut them back at least by a third and then move them. and i'd do it now so they have the summer to get re-established. use root stimulant to encourage new root growth and make sure you keep them properly watered so they can get established.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image