Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48571 May 20th, 2007 at 05:12 PM
Holly53 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
I am new to the forum and to gardening matters for the most part. I would like to know if it is possible to start a new holly tree from another healthy one that has been growing for about 30 years? Is it as easy as clipping some branches and putting them in water to root and then planting them? I know many things can be done this way. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to learning how to make my yard more attractive.
Thanks!

Holly53 #48605 May 20th, 2007 at 07:11 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
What type of holly are you talking about? the first thing that I came up with was english holly, try this site: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1674/index.html it says to use softwood cuttings. try googling up Ilex, the botanical name for holly

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #48835 May 21st, 2007 at 09:06 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
If you are going to plant holly trees I suggest you get root barriers and put them in and then plant a magnolia tree and use the leaves to form a second root barrier. Hollies produce babies along their roots and they can be a real pain. And if you have dogs or kids plan on de-stickering them often. Needless to say our holly tree got cut down. Even though it required our neighbor to go out and buy holly for christmas. Sorry.

I would probably try spliting the bottom of the cutting up 1 to 2 inches and then treating them with a root stimulator. Put the cuttings in moist fertilizer-free soil out of direct sunlight. Use a tent arrangement to keep it humid and wait patiently for new growth to appear.

But that is just a guess.

Or patiently look around the base of the old holly until you find one of it's offspring and then plan on digging a deep hole so you get all of the root up with the baby and then just take that home and plant it. It will do fine.

Last edited by tkhooper; May 21st, 2007 at 09:08 AM.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image