Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47159 May 17th, 2007 at 07:21 PM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
I have an opuntia cactus and an opuntia cutting. Both have long, spindly growth. I am giving them the best light I can in my apartment. They sit in east-facing windowsills. I've been waiting for these growths to fatten up, but maybe I'm in denial.

So...

Since there's not much more I can do with these, would they be better off if I just gave them to someone who could give them better light? Should I keep growing them, even though the growth will always be skinny? Should I take them to the sink, turn on the water and mercy kill them???

All advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Amanda

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #47678 May 18th, 2007 at 05:16 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Amany, how old are they? Maybe you can purchase a grow light to put on your sill. I'd give them more of a chance!

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I tried... I tried... boohoo

I am really thinking that it needs to be outside, and in a bright south window once it gets cold. The more I look at these cacti the more I think they'd be better off with my mother. On her sunny front porch and her big bright south facing window when the temps get low.

I've had the more established looking plant for a year. It has grown a lot, but it's the skinny growth. I've had the cutting since last June or July.

Last edited by Amany; May 18th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #48478 May 20th, 2007 at 11:28 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes, it will never fill out and without a growlight all new growth will be equally etiolated. But it's alive and growing, in its imperfect way. To toss or keep is up to you. Do you like it as it is? If so, keep it. If not, compost it. Just be careful of the compost as spines and glochids take years longer to break down than anything else!

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks ladies. kissie

I decided to give it a better chance, so I gave it to my mother. She can provide much better light for it than I can.

Amanda / Zone 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image