#29440 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 03:50 PM
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
flwr

Any one out there have sago palm tree bulbs or seed or whatever?????
I have numerous things I can swap for this.

LMK

:wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #47843 May 19th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Dodge,

Sago palm (Cyad revoluta) which are really cyads, not palms - are quite slow growing, typically taking 8-10 years to grow 1 foot in height grown outdoors in full sun and ideal conditions. In the tropics they grow faster. These plants are usually well over 20 years old before they first produce cones which need to be pollinated to produce seeds. Pennsylvana is too cold to grow Sagos outside. It is unlikely that Sagos will ever produce seeds grown indoors where there is little chance of the cones becoming pollinated. Your best chance to propagate a Sago is to hope it eventually produces offsets which will often take years.Indoors it might take years-or never - before they mature enough to propagate. Unlikely the plant will ever produce fertile seeds indoors so your best chance is propagation through offsets which should only be removed when they grow to at least 6" in diameter.

Not to discourage you, but Sagos are not the ideal indoor plant because of their high light requirements. However, if you decide to get one anyway, I recommend purchasing one already established in at least a 6" pot size. Keep them potbound, let dry out between waterings - the trunk stores water - and place in the brightest window you can.

Hopes this helps somewhat. Good luck!

Star

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nervous

Thanks for the info......

I have had the indoor sagos for about 6 years, and finally traded them off to someone else...THey grew in Penna. Inside. We do have sun .....
I wanted some thing different.......My neice wanted these, is why I asked for some.. She is in a new home in florida and was testing my luck.
I received 8 pups from someone , I think arizona......THey are in the soil......Now we hide and watch......

I wasnt hunting for me..They sell sago all the time up here at the walmarts.

Thanks again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image