Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45659 May 16th, 2007 at 09:50 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I recently returned from a lovely trip to San Francisco, so, you all will be seeing quite alot of pics of plants as well as questions regarding some of them.

Two questions - what is this plant? I saw it along freeways in California as well as other areas while there.
Yellow blooms, yellow and white, and purple.

Here's a pic of the overall plant.

[Linked Image]

Okay, here's a pic of the leaves.

[Linked Image]

Pic of flower

[Linked Image]

Second question - of course I had to snip a few of what I thought are seeds. shock Are these seeds, instructions please?

[Linked Image]

5k Posts
5k Posts
I'm thinking that is maybe some sort of ice plant? Definitely looks like succulent of some sort, to me.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
looks like ice plant to me too.

I think it's an ice plant, too.

I googled it, and here's a web site I found:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...%2Bplant%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
LandOfOz, Jiffy and manderlyh, thanks for the info. Ya'll know some stuff. I'm impressed. I've never heard of ice plants, interesting plant as well as the read but so very invasive. I may want to place in pot.

Okay, second question. According to the above pic for possible seeds, do you think they are? According to the website (thanks to manderlyh), it says the seeds are in the fruit. Do I have fruit? What do you think? Thanks ya'll. flwr

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
no you didn't snip the seeds you did snip the hip of the flower. after the flower blooms and if it isn't taken from the plant the hip would have grown the seeds and then turned brown. At that time the seeds would have been ready to harvest.

And yes hip/fruit would be where you would have found it. But you cut it off too soon.

[Linked Image]
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Tammy for the info on seeds of ice plants. I suppose I can dispose of this stuff since it will be of no use?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image