Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44917 May 15th, 2007 at 01:08 PM
czx Offline OP
OP Offline
hi! I have a problem growing plants from seeds. They germinate and grow but are thin and week. My tomatoe plants are about 6inches tall but are thin and laying down. I planted them about the 15th of March, used soil for seedlings and I had them under the "grow light" the entire time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

czx #44927 May 15th, 2007 at 02:03 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I would say that you are not leaving the growlight on long enough or you do not have the plant close enough to the growlight. If it is the florescent or purple kind it needs to be within a few inches of the plant.

Also starting soil doesn't have any fertilizer in it so you will need to add it once the plants develop true leaves. You need to use one with a high 2nd and 3rd number rather than one with a high first number.

Tomatoes are heavy feeders and need to be transplanted into a soil mixture that is 50% compost and 50% garden soil. This and the fertilizer should help your tomatoes become happy and healthy. If it is working the leaves will curl up somewhat in response to the new conditions. This is normal.

Good luck with your seedlings.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #45485 May 16th, 2007 at 07:38 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
I'd have to second what TKhooper said. She knows her stuff. Also, if you are planning on repotting your tomatoes, you can plant them deeper so they aren't so tall. The plants will form roots on the stem where it contacts the soil.

How long do you leave the plants under the growlight? They need around 12 consecutive hours (at least) to not be leggy.

Congrats on the new seedlings!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image