Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44879 May 15th, 2007 at 11:05 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Now can someone please tell me how to take care of it?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #44906 May 15th, 2007 at 12:33 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
African Violets like lots of indirect sunlight and moist but not soggy soil. They also like humidity, so if possible grow it on a moist tray of pebbles. Fertilize at 1/4 strength every two weeks or so. When it finishes flowering, cut the stems back. The more light (but not direct sun) you give them the better chances of getting reblooms.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #44931 May 15th, 2007 at 02:15 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Alan,

I put it farther into the room than the Epi by about 6 inches. It's a bright room with a large east facing window but the sun doesn't come in far enough to reach either the Epi or the AV. I put a dish under the pot saucer and added water to that. Hopefully that will work for the humidity.

Now I think I heard this winter maybe that it was possible to take leaves to make new plants? Is that so and if so how? It took me forever to figure out how to do it with jade. Is it similar with AV's?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #45024 May 15th, 2007 at 06:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have a new plant going right now....I just cut off a few big leaves with some stem, stuck them in a pot and keep them watered...works for me, I've done several this way.

I also use bottom watering pots, and use AV plant food every so often! thumbup

Last edited by loz; May 15th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
#45033 May 15th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've had wonderful results with self-watering av pots and highly recommend them. they also bloom almost constantly on the plant stand with the lights - i've got them set to mimic the real dawn/dusk.

before i had the stand, i always had good luck with a west facing window...anything else and the av's would grow and not bloom.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #45055 May 15th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
walmart was out of av plant food. Can I use regular? thanks for the info about the cuttings. And the light. I'm on the wrong side of the building to get western filtered light. What happens if you use artificial light?

And where might I find an av bottom watering pot online?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #45130 May 15th, 2007 at 09:56 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i had the av's before i got the plant stand w/lights. since they've been under the grow lights, they literally bloom almost constantly! they take a break every few months for about 3 weeks and then start the show again.

check lowe's, home depot and sears hardware for the self-watering pots - even the smaller stores near me have them and the larger ones (a town or two away) have a bigger selection.

they come in all different sizes - from 2 inch up to 10 inch.

i put a ton of links for self watering pots sold online in one of the posts on the old forum. i can't find the post tho.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #45159 May 16th, 2007 at 04:22 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have no luck trying to find posts on the old site. It's such a shame because there was so much good information there.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #45260 May 16th, 2007 at 05:40 AM
I have had the best luck with artificial light.One cool and one warm I put them about 4 inches from the bulbs for flowering.It is best to use fertilizer made for AVs mostly because nitrogen is high in regular fertilizer it will make beautiful green leaves but will not make flowers.You need more phosphorus and potassium for healthy AVs.Potassium helps fight disease and phosphorus makes for bigger and more regular blossoms.

tkhooper #45587 May 16th, 2007 at 08:25 AM
My heart was broken last year when my AVs got root mealies. I'm trying it again this year. This time I'm starting some from leaves. I have 14 leaves potted right now, 11 different types. I only want to keep two of each. I'm hoping to give any others away as Christmas or Valentine's Day presents. Whenever the babies are big enough to be potted on their own.

Use fert just for AVs, preferably one with no urea. I used Peter's AV fert and was happy with it. There are other types though. Everyone is different, but I diluted mine to 1/4 strength and used it about 2 - 3 times a month. I watered from the bottom (for about 20 - 25 minutes), but about once a month I would water carefully from the top to leach out the fert salts. Be care not to get any water in the crown (center) of the plant. If you do, though, take a napkin or something to dab it dry. You don't want to chance it getting crown rot. Crown rot can kill it.

Pretty soon, you'll get used to the plant and notice when it needs water by the way the leaves look to you. They have a certain "shininess" to them when they're watered. Then they go a little dull when it's time water. You'll recognize that in time. You can also tell by the difference in the pot's weight and, of course, by sticking your finger in the soil.

Be careful about letting hot sun get to it. It will scorch the leaves. I Sometimes when it's hot they will take a break from flowering. I kept mine about 18 inches from an unobstructed east facing window usually, but in the hot summer, that close became too hot for them. I had to move them further away.

Rachel's Reflections is a good site to visit for info.
For the old forum I have this link bookmarked. I just do the search on all open forums. You should be able to get some info that way. Old Garden Helper Search

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #46098 May 16th, 2007 at 02:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

#46100 May 16th, 2007 at 03:06 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks amany and loz for the links. I'm hopeless when it comes to researching things.

And thankyou for the information on the fertilizer. I'll have to see if I can get to lowes or home depot.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #54952 May 30th, 2007 at 09:06 PM
I have a AV with white leaves and white flowers,can anyone tell me what it is.I will try to post some pics. of mine,most of what I grow is not common so I have a hard time finding out information about them.But I have no trouble growing any of them.I even have one with green flowers.It's really cool.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image