Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43444 May 13th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
Here is one photo of what I set up this year to keep cats out. I didn't want to recommend it until we had survived the whole thing without the cats getting in. What I did was buy a shelf unit at Sam's Club and put on 2 lights per shelf with zip ties. Then I put 2 clear shower curtains around it. I hung them with zip ties and stapled one side together (shown in photo). The other side was kept shut with clips and clothes pins. The bottom shelf was accessible to the cats but they could not go higher and they never did any damage! clap It took a little work to get into the thing to water but I just made sure to clip it back up really well. I couldn't lower and raise the lights so I just put the trays on other trays or on books at the beginning to get them closer to the light. All the cords came out the bottom of the shelf unit and were plugged into a timer. The shelf is on wheels so it could be moved if desired. This is the first year I haven't had cat damage! shots

OP Offline
Here is the photo:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tamara from Minnesota; May 13th, 2007 at 06:50 PM.
1k Posts
1k Posts
I had the same unit with my seedlings this year, though minus the cats. Sure works great, but I had my shelves really close together for better lighting.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
Yeah I wanted mine closer and adjustable but DH put it together and I didn't get to tell him first. I used books and stuff to raise them and it worked fine. Then as they grew I took out the books. I was able to fit 4 trays per shelf and I used 3 shelves and 6 lights so that was 12 trays. I also kept soil and cat grass in there to make it inaccessible to the cats. :wink:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image