Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43421 May 13th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I started some tomatoes without thinking to see if they are good to grow in a greenhouse. I did very well with tiny tims in my g-house last year, so I just figured I'd go with a larger variety and do the same. idea

Will I be alright? What do you think? Has anyone tried this before? why

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #44174 May 14th, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Rosepetal, look at this
[Linked Image]
that was taken in march, the seeds were planted in December.
This was on April 23rd
[Linked Image]
And this is today
[Linked Image]
And it wasn't done in a greenhouse, so I can just imagine it can be done there. These I started growing under lights, then I brought them upstairs and planted them in "my earthbox" when they were a couple feet tall and left them by the patio doors. And they are now over 6 ft. It was an experiment for me because I can't live without Tomatoes and wanted to know if they could be grown indoors. Only thing is it took them 5 months for the fruit to appear. I'm sure it was due to a few mistakes I may have made, but all in all i am happy with the results so far. There are quite a few more flowers on each of the plants. Now I just wait.

Nuria
cancolgirl #44304 May 14th, 2007 at 05:11 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
cancolgirl thanks for the pictures. Nice tomato plants, I can taste the tomato already.

I'm kind of concerned that the greenhouse will be too hot for tomatoes, but if I don't try I'll never know.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #49123 May 21st, 2007 at 06:33 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Nuria, those plants look amazing! And you said they are over 6 feet tall? Do you plan on putting them out, or just keeping them where they are? Oh, and what variety are those?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #49245 May 22nd, 2007 at 04:19 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
The lady who owns the nursery across the road grows her veggies in her greenhouse. She grows tomatoes and cucumbers in 5 gallon pails. They were huge last year.

Those plants look great.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #50082 May 23rd, 2007 at 07:07 AM
Thanks. I don't plan on putting them out - they are too big now. They are Brandywine tomatoes, and when I started them it was a simply experiment. I was mad at paying 1.50/lb at the grocery store after having lived off of the ones I grew in the summer for 3 months. Then I learned about DIY boxes and made them out of the 6 gallon grape juice containers. Placed them by the window (they were under lights before that) and they have been growing nicely since. Only mistake I made was put 2 plants in one container. blush But it did not stop them from growing. And now there are flower trusses all over and 6 tomatoes growing so far. They are a little bigger then the size of a quarter.

So if they can grow indoors, I don't see why they wouldn't do well in a greenhouse as long as there is ventilation and it doesn't get too, too hot.

Nuria
cancolgirl #52590 May 27th, 2007 at 07:09 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm going to do the tomatoes in the greenhouse and we'll see what will happen. The plants look healthy so far and soon I'll transplant them into bigger containers, can't wait to see what will happen.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image