Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43009 May 12th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
After it's first flush of blooms I aways trim back and shape my rose tree into a rounder top.
[Linked Image]

I had begun to groom it up and was cutting away dead limbs when I discovered a bird's nest.
[Linked Image]

This has happened a couple of years ago when my grandsons heard some chirpping and followed the sound to the same rose tree and there were two baby birds in it , a week later they were gone!!!! Just an empty nest , Now a nest is back again,, When I opened the back door twice today I hear 'fluttering' from that direction But because we have soo many birds around here I gave it no attention
Guess I'd better from now on so I can see what kind of bird it is... two years ago it was cardinals,, However a couple of days ago I found two dead bluejays in the yard One an adult and one 1/2 grown.

Can someone ID this egg??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
that's a cardinal's egg.

Zone 6b
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Keep your eye on the nest from a distance and see what visits it.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
That's what I've been trying to do But when I open the door it;s behind the door so I can't see it fly off I only hear it fly off! I guess I could go out the front door and walk around from the opposite side then I'd see it!!!
It may very well be a Cardinal Joclyn ~ Thanks~ Do they try to nest in the same area or tree every spring??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
They could. The FEW Cardinal nests I have seen are in small bushes usually at knee to waist high. But I am not sure if that is ALWAYS the case.

[Linked Image]

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
What a special find, Diane!
And a terrific shot of the egg - can't wait to find out what kind of bird it is!

I love finding Mother Nature's treaures like that - we don't get to see many nests here, but I do have 2 that I've saved, and use 1 as garden whimsey. That one is about the size of yours - found it on the ground a few years ago empty, and the other is a hummingbird nest that a father of one of Brian's friends gave me, when he heard I like hummers. I haven't put that one out yet - it's so special that I don't want it to get ruined.

Do you think you'll keep this one when they are finished with it and use it somewhere?

I'll take a picture of the one I have out, tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
We've always had a nest on our front porch but this year we didn't. I guess the bird died. I love finding nests. I've never seen a cardinals egg before. Thanks for posting.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
cardinals only live for 1 or 2 years, so, if you do see a nest in the same spot more than once, it's probably a different bird that built it.

be careful to not disturb the nest...the mom may abandone it if you bother her too much.

Zone 6b
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by joclyn

be careful to not disturb the nest...the mom may abandone it if you bother her too much.

I did see the cardinal going into the nest today!!! I could see it from the kitchen window!!!
I didn't touch the nest nor will I go back to it ~ I will just let nature take it course!! thumbup
I don't know if I'll do anything with it later or not Lynne I have no idea how long it will use the nest why I suppose when the baby is able to fly out on it's own it won't come back to the nest? why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Once a baby bird leaves the nest it NEVER returns, even if it can't fly good yet. But Don't worry. They WON'T voluntarily leave the nest UNTIL they are ready.

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Okay Thank for that infor Thorny!!!

I tried to get a picture of the cardinal but wasn't fast enough~~ But I did capture a Bluejay They are a common site here!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
AHHH, the ever-present Blue Jay. We birders are fascinated by them as they have an amazing repertoire of sounds they make. And they constantly invent new ones. I have about eight in my yard and they are ALWAYS welcome guests. Whenever I can I put out peanuts in the shell on my platform feeders for the Blue Jays, Squirrels, and sometimes, Tufted Titmouses.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image