Rate Thread
#39014 May 7th, 2007 at 09:36 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
What can I use to spot kill weeds that wont kill whats near them by leaching through the ground to the roots??? Anyone have a recipe that they've tried that works? I could google for info but I want to know what you've used successfully.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #40195 May 8th, 2007 at 05:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i just spray vinager on the leaves on a sunny day. if it doesn't get on the good plants, it won't kill them.

#42714 May 11th, 2007 at 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
i just spray vinager on the leaves on a sunny day. if it doesn't get on the good plants, it won't kill them.

I googled this a few months ago. Vinegar (regular 5% acidity - the stuff you'd make Italian dressing with) is supposed to work well for the weeds growing in the cracks of a sidewalk or driveway. For killing weeds like thistle, you'd need a higher acidity vinegar. I've asked around @ Whole Foods (natural food store chain), but they don't have any. I didn't try Wild Oats (another natural food store). I know you can buy it online, but don't remember where/which website I found it.

Jiffymouse, have you had success w/killing thistle w/the regular vinegar?? If so, I'm definately going to use it. Have you had success w/dandelions?? Good lord... we've got plenty of those in our back yard. I really don't like the way it looks, but I don't want to "weed & feed" w/the regular stuff 'cause our boys play in the back yard all the time.

NuSkewl #42821 May 12th, 2007 at 03:00 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Nothing kills a dandelion, I've tried everything.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #42841 May 12th, 2007 at 05:16 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i haven't killed thistle or dandelion, but i have killed bermuda grass grin

#42842 May 12th, 2007 at 05:17 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i should have said i don't havve thistle or dandelions to kill. i don't have a lawn to speak of, and i only kill the grass in my walkways!

#42847 May 12th, 2007 at 05:48 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
I use household vinegar [acetic acid 5% acidity] to kill small weeds in the driveway.

Acetic acid (vinegar) for weed control revisited
by Micheal D. K. Owen

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/weednews/vinegar.htm

portions of article qouted below:

Various lawn and garden stores may carry these products. Like any herbicide, it is important to follow all directions and safety procedures. The USDA issued a warning in their research report stating; “WARNING: Note that vinegar with acetic acid concentrations greater than 5% may be hazardous and should be handled with appropriate precautions”. However, acetic acid is not reported to accumulate in the environment and readily breaks down to water. Interestingly, 24% acetic acid apparently can temporarily decrease soil pH.

Acetic acid is not a selective herbicide. Dr. John Teasdale suggested the mechanism of action of acetic acid is similar to that of paraquat in that acetic acid causes the rapid dissolution of cell membrane integrity resulting in the dessication of foliar tissues, and ultimately plant death. Acetic acid is non-selective, and may damage any plant part contacted by the material.

While acetic acid may burn off the tops of Canada thistle and other perennials, it will not control the root system responsible for regeneration of plants. Furthermore, acetic acid may not control larger weeds. A recent demonstration at the Nashua Research Farm suggested that acetic acid is not effective at controlling larger weeds.

Directed applications (keeping the vinegar away from the crop plant) are necessary to use acetic acid when crops are present in fields. Acetic acid concentrations from 10 to 20% controlled 80 to 100% of the smaller weeds, as reported in the USDA release. Typical concentrations of acetic acid in most commercially available vinegars are 5%, and were reported to provided variable control of small weeds.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #43021 May 12th, 2007 at 03:48 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie thank you papito!

Wrennie #345195 Jun 9th, 2011 at 04:18 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Cover your garden soil with mulch as it blocks weeds. Mulches keep moisture in the soil so you have to water less. Another method is douse weeds with boiling water or spray liquid soap on weeds it will work bests on hot days. Even you can spray vinegar on weeds but be sure you don't vinegar on your garden plants as it can kill them too. Alcohol will also work to kill the weeds. Do not let them sprout use some corn meal gluten as it prevents weeds from growing.

Wrennie #352652 Jan 23rd, 2012 at 02:40 PM
First let me ask you a couple questions. What kind of weeds and where are they located? (GO GIANTS!)

Wrennie #356516 May 6th, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I like Avenger weed Killer. I get the 32.oz concentrate size that allows me to mix small batches and put in a small spray bottle or a pump-up sprayer. It is more economical than the vinegars, doesn't stink.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image