Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39012 May 7th, 2007 at 09:33 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi, all. My family and I are moving from NY state to Arizona this July. We almost certainly won't have sold the house before then. I want to put some colorful flowers around on the south and west sides of the house, to make it look pretty. After we leave, they won't get any extra watering or dead-heading. Any suggestions? If they can say, "Buy this house!" that would be a plus! ;) Thanks.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Zinnia are drought tolerant and wonderful splashes of color. And you could direct sow them now without a problem. And they have short ones, medium ones, and tall ones so you can make quite a display. They also have the solid colors and the striped ones. As well as single, double, and fully double ones. It sure does sound like I like zinnia doesn't it?

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
are the areas really sunny?? if so, then some portulaca would do well. keeps blooming and grows really well in full sun situations.

i don't water unless i've just planted something or it's drought conditions and the soil in the beds in the back is still mostly clay...the sundials did phenominal there last year (i usually put them out front & tried something different last year). i didn't even really do too much watering when i first put them in the ground either...and they kept blooming right up until october!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #40633 May 9th, 2007 at 08:13 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Zinnias and portulaca it is! Thanks.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've got some seeds for the pink sundials...and some extra seeds of pink and purple zinnia.

would trade them for something succulent grin

let me know if you're interested

Zone 6b
Joclyn #41515 May 10th, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
What are pink sundials?

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sundials ~ portulaca ~ moss rose. they're all the same thing! [Linked Image]

Zone 6b
Joclyn #42166 May 11th, 2007 at 12:52 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ahhhh gorgeous.. I LOVE Portulaca.. My mom used to have it all the time! It is kind of hard to find around here for some reason.. but my Mennonite neighbors have a HUGE greenhouse and she stocks them for me every year now, after I requested them. grin

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You girls took the words out of my mouth.

I was going to say....Portulacas, and Cosmos. Zinnias are pretty and like full sun flwr, but mine always wilt up fast if I don't water them each day.

Portulacas and Cosmos are extrememly drought tolerant.

#42809 May 11th, 2007 at 10:19 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
joclyn, yes, I'd be willing to trade. I have unrooted hoya cuttings (a variagated Carnosa cultivar that has yet to bloom - Krimson Princess or Queen, I think [large growing]; Lacunosa with flower spurs - smells wonderful when blooming [small growing]; a/o cv. Matilda, also with flower spurs, prettier leaves though not as floriferous as Lacunosa [small growing]. I also have 2 Aloe Fleurentorium seedlings [small and slow growing but will become large plants some year - want LOTS of sun and LITTLE water], a few Selenicereus Anthonyanus cuttings, rooted Huernia Hislopii cuttings, a few small [1/4 - 1/2 inch] Rebutia seedlings, Philodendron cuttings, Amarillus(sp?) seeds. joclyn gets first choice because she asked, anybody else want anything?

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
fantabulous!!! let me investigate them to see which i'd like...i'm still new to succulents!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #43015 May 12th, 2007 at 03:08 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
okay...did some googling.

couldn't find anything on the matilda - is that a carnosa, lacunosa or an aloe?

also couldn't find anything on aloe fleurentorium? google said maybe the spelling was wrong?

the hoya has a beautiful flower and the huernia hislopii - oh! it's purple!!

what do you need for the new place?? i've got iris, a few daylily, purple coneflower, lilac and various seeds (most are annuals).

Zone 6b
Joclyn #43197 May 12th, 2007 at 11:46 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Ok. Hoya cv. Matilda I got from here: http://www.paulshirleysucculents.nl/ I just now went there and it's not offered anymore. Perhaps it is his own cross that he is elevating to a cultivar status, I don't know. For an Idea of this plant google Hoya Lacunosa (which I also got from Paul Shirley) and picture it with round leaves and flowers with slightly more pink and less fuzz. It has the same growth style and needs. All 3 of my Hoya need to be cut back a lot for the move. I would prefer not to chuck what I cut, as the cuttings are viable.
My Aloe Fleurentiniorum came from http://www.aloestudies.org/ I have 2 adult plants that flowered at the same time and I crossed them. They are really quite slow growing, though the flowers are beautiful. I'd say these seedlings are at least 5 years from flowering, but I don't really know. Best of luck to all of us. The rebutia seedlings are all ~1/4 inch, no 1/2" as I thought.
As to the new place, I need to be there for a while and see what grows without my input before I start importing anything. For here, I'm looking for showy annuals that will survive when I leave, look pretty and homey, and enhanse the "ooh, let's buy this house" factor, rather than "oh, it's all weeds and ugly, too much work" which is beautiful to me. I'm a "let's leave it alone and see what wants to be there" person.
Let me know, anybody, if you want anything. I'd rather pass it on than compost it (will whoever buys my home even appreciate compost?). Thanks.

http://www.aloestudies.org/species.html

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sent you a pm, margaret!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #43629 May 14th, 2007 at 06:44 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi Margaret!

I would love to take any cuttings you might offer off your hands, as the hoya I have from you is doing wonderfully.

As are the fish! lol thumbup kissie

I'm sorry that I don't have any annuals to share, as the animals get to all that aren't in hanging pots or up on my deck. I might have some perennials in time for summer camp, if you are still going, but they don't really give the POP that I think you are looking for?

I'm going to post a Big Goldie issue that I'm having, in the critters forum -
hope to see you there!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Joclyn and Lynne-
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I'm REALLY busy these days. I'm taking cuttings and such today. Let me know your mail addresses and I'll get them off to you all tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image