Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41694 May 11th, 2007 at 06:53 AM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello.

I am going to be propagating AVs from leaves. Two of the leaves will be from trailing AVs. Is there anything I should do differently with the trailing ones?

From what I understand the trailing AVs can be multi-crowned. Does that mean that I won't have to separate them like the non-trailers once they form plants?

Help!

Amanda / Zone 6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm just starting my first cutting. Can you explain what you mean by separating them once they form plants?

[Linked Image]
You will know AVs will grow babys in the same pot as there momma.I get as many as six to a pot.Each new plant will have a root system of there own it will be easy to spot.But be careful if you separate them to soon they will go into shock fast.I split mine when they are the size of my fist,that maybe to long to wait but I don't lose many any that way.The smaller they are the more I lose.

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
THooper - You can propagate AVs by sticking a leaf in a pot of moistened soil. It can take quite a few weeks to happen, but 2 to 5 individual plants can be propagated from just one leaf.

LittleLizzard - I agree. I propagated from leaves once and lost most of my babies because I separated them too soon. This time I will wait until the leaves either become nickel sized or until they are just too big for the container.

Here's the setup I have now:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have the leaves in little 3 oz cups. I put holes in the bottoms of them. The tops are 9 oz cups inverted. Lots of people have different methods though. Some people root in water. Some don't enclosing.

BTW, all the cups came from the dollar store! grin

Amanda / Zone 6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I may have to look into getting a cover for mine. I never thought of that. But it does help keep the soil moist.

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I root my leaves in water.I cover a cup with sran wrap,shove a rubber band around the saran wrap,prop the leaf in a small hole.I have one leaf that I've been roting babies off of for 2 years now.I just remove the babies& re-insert. Mama plant is in a glass canister jar.I lift the lid off 1 day a month,it can go months before needing water.

I tried the soil method.Huge failure.bad part was I rooted ALL the leaves.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image