Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41519 May 10th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
OP Offline
I have a Hydrangea that has NEVER blossomed. It's very healthy and gets to be about 4 feet high with healthy stalks and folliage but never a flower. I just tested the soil and it is 'slightly acid 6.5' but get no real direct sunlight as it sits behind some tall pyrimidalias.(sp?) I cut it down to about 6 inches late in the fall when it dies back as instructed but don't know if it's the lack of sun or the soil preventing the blossoms. Should I just dig it out and move it altogether? Help!

Poeski258 #41578 May 10th, 2007 at 09:28 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
most of the hydrangea varieties bloom on old wood, so you need to trim it back after it blooms - and then, only to just before where the next years buds are.

by cutting it down to the ground in the fall, you're taking the old wood that has the buds on it away.

now, it may just be a variety that blooms on new wood - so the fall trimming might not be a problem. you may be doing just a bit more trimming back than you need/should tho.

do you still have the tag? if so, what's the name of it - common or latin version, doesn't matter which you have.

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #42869 May 12th, 2007 at 06:50 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts

If you like the hygrandgea alot....try not cutting it at ALL this year and see what happens and if you live north where the tips may be getting die back,cover the plant with some burlap.
OR
try one of the newer ones like endless summer that will bloom on new AND old wood

The PH is what usually affects the color of the flowers.I'd have to go test mine to see what it is,but I get soft lavendar blooms& then my nikko I make sure too Aluminuim sulphate it to keep the blueness.Too much nitrogen can make them not bloom& though they claim too much shade will do the same....my niko gets little sun if any,but does have few blooms(I did move a portion of it though...to more sun)I love the oak leaf ones.I'm in love with the fall coloring in the leaves.I live far enough south I don't get much fall coloring...my sugar maple just teases me..lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image