Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38648 May 6th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
OP Offline
I have a couple houseplants with an odd yellow mold on the top of the soil. It is fuzzy with tiny bright yellow bulbs. Each patch is about the size of my thumbnail and the bulbs within it are about as big as the little tapioca used in pudding.
I live in an extremely dry area and have not been overwatering. The soil is noticiably dry.
Is this bad and if so is there anything I should be doing other than physical removal? Is it a sign of an infestiation?

Thanks,
Plantgirl

plantgirl #38711 May 6th, 2007 at 06:48 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
It kinda sounds like the soil you have has
some kind of wood product in it, ie; even like a peat moss,
when the wood decay's it sends out a fungus like substance...

Here is a quote by The Plant Doc here...
Your problem is called "slime mold" it is a pretty interesting species of fungi. It is actually a colony of individual microscopic entities, and they will move the entire colony to seek out new food sources. Kinda like the Blob.
It is very rare that slime molds to any damage, and they are just part of natures way of breaking down dead plant material.

Picture here of "Slime Mold"

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #38712 May 6th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Can you check your type of soil you used
or have it in and let us know????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #38720 May 6th, 2007 at 06:58 PM
I have read that it helps to heat potting soil in the oven at 200 or 250 degrees for 30 minutes in the oven. Is that true? Maybe that would prevent problems in the future.

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #38727 May 6th, 2007 at 07:16 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I have heard that, yes...

but I have also heard that that realllllllllly stinks
up your house and oven..

The one person who tired it didn't have a happy wife
afterwards' I guess..
He then went on to suggest, if you want to do that method,
to use your outdoor bbq grill.. dispersed the order better
and you could leave the hood up/open to get the smell out.

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #38894 May 7th, 2007 at 05:53 AM
Good idea. I don't want to stink the place up. Thanks Weezie.

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #39133 May 7th, 2007 at 02:35 PM
I have used the oven to cook soil. I wouldn't say stinks, so much as smells strongly of earth/gardens. Personally, I find the heat generated by the oven much more offensive than the smell (the heat just builds up in the room, since it has no where else to go).

I guess I can see not liking it though. I wish I'd done that with my most recent batch of potting soil. Every single pot is infested with gnats now because I didn't.

RoseFishWatcher #41401 May 10th, 2007 at 01:13 PM
badday Boy did it stink!

Yesterday I went ahead and baked my potting soil. I use Garden Safe potting soil. I guess it's ok, but I noticed with the last bag I purchased that I would get these tiny, crawling light colored insects in the soil. Sometimes they'd crawl on top of the soil. Sometimes around the drainage holes. I don't think they hurt anything and I don't know what they were called. Allowing the soil to become really, really dry (as dry as the plant could stand it) seemed to get rid of them though. Recently I bought another bag and noticed the same problem. So I baked my potting soil.

I couldn't detect the smell last night, but this morning I could. My husband complained about it all before work and then called me later and complained some more. I can't bring myself to actually tell him what caused it. All I would say was that it wasn't something we'd eat.

Amanda / Zone 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image