Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#395314 Mar 17th, 2017 at 03:29 AM
OP Offline
Hi folks, I have a garden in front of my house. I love gardening and I spend most of the time planting vegetables and herbs. I used to maintain it well. I have a separate section dedicated only for flowers. But a week back an incident took place and I felt really sad. My garden was fully messed up, I somehow managed to bring it back to its original state. That time I didn"t take it seriously. But yesterday again there was holes dug and plants destroyed. My guess is that it"s a raccoons job as we live in an area where there are quite a few of them. My husband told me to call a raccoon removal services from toronto. Is there any other way of getting rid of these raccoons? Please chime in with some useful suggestions.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Andrea. I have also had problems with critters. Raccoons were some of it but also skunks, squirrels and possum. I have had good luck with plants that are pest resistant. I planted them around my most treasured stuff. They repel rather well. You can also use a deer repellent type of thing. If you google it you can find much to help.
I hope you can get rid of your pests soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #395318 Mar 17th, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Welcome, Andrea.

Sorry for your raccoon issues.
Here are a few more ideas for you to try. One is for such as Deer, Mice and Squirrels, but it is cheap enough to try for Raccoons...
Buy some Irish spring bar soap and use a grater to grate it on the area you want to keep the Raccoons away from. The smell is offensive.
Another is that you can also build a SOLID fence around your gardens. BUT I would not make it very short, so to keep them from going over top of it.

We have a other members that also live in Canada, so perhaps they will come along to give you some help.

I wish you all the best of luck.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
Thank you, Tina and Junie, for your kind concern. I would try these methods and I will let you know the results. Here, these raccoons are a real nuisance and I have discussed this with the raccoon removal service providers here. They have set up a trap and I am waiting for the results.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
wonder if solar lights would work and maybe some type of noise at night.

A few years back, I saw a racoon sneaking into my backyard and eating my strawberries right off the plants. It kept stealing my berries for the following days and I was at my wit's end. I decided to put up a fence around my garden and built a chicken wire fence around the plants. But to my surprise, after two days of setting up the fence, I could see that it was torn up at the bottom part by the racoon. As I didn't want to kill or injure the racoon, I thought of setting up a humane trap with dog food and tuna on it. But soon I came to know that I had to call the local fish and game to come and pick up the animal to release it back into the wild. I didn't want to deal with all of these myself, and I finally called to the humane racoon removal service in Newmarket. They caught the creature and safely relocated it. Lately, I put up an electric fence for my garden, which was an expensive choice compared to others. But it was more effective than solid fences.

Last edited by Karen Palmer; Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Removed advertising.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Karen, where do you live if you don't mind saying. My sister lives in West Virginia and they have all sorts of critter problems. They put up a 12 foot wire fence around part of their garden and a doe was still able to jump that fence and destroy their garden and then couldn't get back out. They also have trouble with badgers and gophers. I haven't heard them mention raccoons yet but that's probably next. I'm going to mention the electric fence idea to her. That may be her only answer.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks for getting back to us, Karen. I hope that you have your "critter" issues resolved, or at very least in hand, now.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
I get deer and skunk problems here.. Skunks dig holes. Hunting grubs

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image