Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#409626 Jun 17th, 2021 at 05:05 PM
OP Offline
i just got a Double Play Doozie Spirea. Took me forever to find her.

She was planted June 6th.

i dug the hole and added in some of that pre mixed special dirt stuff for gardening that has all the fancy stuff already mixed in. (Got it from Sobeys)

i've been keeping her watered regularly, she gets almost full sun. i'd say from around noon on.

Her newer leaves are the deep reddish color, so i didn't pick up on this potential problem right away... but the green leaves near the bottom started to become kinda splotchy red, kinda the same color as the newer top leaves. Never had a Doozie before, thought it might be normal.

However now, i am noticing the flower buds she has on her are starting to darken to a deep purple and then black before they die.

She DID have aphids when i first got her, but it wasn't serious and i got rid of them quickly.

Please tell me i can save her.. it cost more than i've ever paid on something before and it was a challenge to find one... What is it and can i do anything?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [ibb.co]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Here is some info for you to read up on. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/spirea-problems-63798.html

What did you use for the aphids? Your plant is stressed but they are very tough. I know this is hard to think about, but in my opinion I'd cut it back at least 8 inches or so. I think the red spots that you are seeing are 'leaf spot' usually found in roses but sometimes in spireas as well. You need to get rid of the 'spores' that can spread. If the spots continue after cutting it back, then you might have to treat it with a fungicide.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
i had read that link in my desperate search before coming here, but thank you for sharing.

The aphids i just used soapy water. They were all gone within a day and a half.

Is there a fungicide i could try before having to resort to cutting it back?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Any "garden fungicide' will work. They have it at Canadian Tire, Home Hardware and such. You can get it in a spray bottle.

I used this.. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1l-ready-to-use-garden-fungicide/p/5046381

OP Offline
Thanks so much!! i also noticed some new growth on it today, that's a good sign right?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yes, it is.

I live in Northern New Brunswick and I can tell you that Spirea's are the hardiest shrub. In fact, I cut down a few right to the ground each Fall(to control their size) and they grow back as good as new every spring.

2 members like this: Gremelin, JunieGirl
OP Offline
Sounds wonderful! i chose the Spirea because it said they were tough. Appreciate your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image