Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40592 May 9th, 2007 at 07:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
First of all, I have what I believe to be a big patch of poison ivy sprouting up in a corner of my yard. Isn't there a homemade way to get rid of it without using chemicals??????

Secondly, my yard is filled with TONS of pillbugs! I mean tons and tons....are these harmful to my plants? The funny thing is that I lifted a few things up in moms yard and there weren't any under her things. If you lift a statue or something up in my beds you'll find hundreds of them congregated under there. I don't think they are too harmful, but they drive me nuts!

#40708 May 9th, 2007 at 10:28 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thank you Penny, I'm going to try that out!!!! I thought it was poison ivy. It's growing in the corner near my neighbors yard and I asked her and she thinks it is too.

Gotta get rid of it! thumbup

#40835 May 9th, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
well, you're certainly in an area that can have poison ivy. it's got three leaves which are glossy. it can grow as a plant/bush, a tree and as a vine! here are some pics on google

i use an ounce or so of gas and put it directly on the roots. once the plant dies, i pull it out. if you're going to use that mix, i'd pour it directly on the roots, too. you'll have to let me know if it works...i'd rather not use the gas - the things in the store for getting rid of p-ivy just don't work tho, so the gas was the last resort.

Zone 6b
#40885 May 9th, 2007 at 02:25 PM
Re part one ...I read an article in the Sunday papers here at the weekend that an effective form of nonchemical weedkiller is to mix (i think in equal parts) neat vodka and water, with a dash of washing up liquid. You have to apply to the weeds in direct sunlight for it to be effective. If it doesn't work, have a little glass of vodka to commiserate/toast the resilience of the weed!

#40948 May 9th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
http://poison-ivy.org/
Click on the poison ivy info link

A good suggestion is to contact your county extension office for local information.

If what you have is a very large root, the only thing that will kill it is to sever the root, paint the exposed wood with round-up and remove any growth that appears. Place any removed growth in a plastic bag, seal tight and put in trash.

herbalyn #41510 May 10th, 2007 at 07:16 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i hope you get rid of yours, cause there is no getting rid of mine! i live in the woods, i would have to have a lifetime of this potion and no job to be able to keep it at bay!

BTW, i have it again on the back of my leg! UGH!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #41582 May 10th, 2007 at 09:56 PM
faerywatcher -

Yikes! That's a miserable place to have poison ivy. Pretty hard to keep that from spreading when its on a leg. Can you find jewelweed growing near any poison ivy? That's the natural antidote. Where one grows so grows the other. Break a stem and rub the juice on the PI rash.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image