Print Thread
Rate Thread
#321002 Jun 12th, 2010 at 05:31 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Now these are all trial and error, some work better than others on certain weeds..but being organic it's worth a try thumbup

1. Boiling water~yup that's right..take the kettle outside and drown those weeds.

2. Ammonia~My favorite..pour straight from the bottle on those weeds, works great on my rock pathway. Be careful, its strong smelling.

3. Salt~my grandparent would sprinkle salt straight out of the dish, they'd lightly wet the weeds then salt them.

4. Vinegar~straight from the bottle if it's high acid(over 5%) or mixed 1 qt of vinegar with 1/2 cup salt and sprayed or poured on the weeds...some people also add a spoon or two of dish soap to help it spray better out of a spray bottle.

5 Alcohol~have no clue about this one, but there is a recipe out there somewhere..hoping someone can fill in the blanks for us thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm not sure about alcohol.
But I will say to be careful of the salt. It is not good for your soil or wanted plants long term.
Vinegar and boiling water work to clear off the tops of plants. If you keep the tops down there is nothing to feed the roots and eventually they will die of too.
Burning the weeds with a propane torch does the same thing. All three of these last take diligence.
Liquid detergent helps other sprays by being sticky and helping things stick to the leaves a little longer and not drip off/dry up so fast. And it will help break down the waxy coating some things have to protect their leaves so the sprays can work. Just a little in a sprayer works.
I use ammonia all of the time for a critter deterrent. Down gopher holes or on mole hills. As long as it is wet and the smell is even faint, animals avoid it. And in the soil it is good for your plants.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Stephenlord23
Unregistered
Stephenlord23
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Now these are all trial and error, some work better than others on certain weeds..but being organic it's worth a try thumbup

1. Boiling water~yup that's right..take the kettle outside and drown those weeds.

2. Ammonia~My favorite..pour straight from the bottle on those weeds, works great on my rock pathway. Be careful, its strong smelling.

3. Salt~my grandparent would sprinkle salt straight out of the dish, they'd lightly wet the weeds then salt them.

4. Vinegar~straight from the bottle if it's high acid(over 5%) or mixed 1 qt of vinegar with 1/2 cup salt and sprayed or poured on the weeds some people also add a spoon or two of dish soap to help it spray better out of a spray bottle.

5 Alcohol~have no clue about this one, but there is a recipe out there somewhere..hoping someone can fill in the blanks for us thumbup

I do agree with all of the parts, but would love to add that alcohol won't be the long term strategy, better to avoid using it.

We use vinegar with a good shot of salt and dish soap. Works quite well on interlock, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image