Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi! Please excuse my probably dumb question, but I know nothing about roses. My neighbor has a rose bush that still isn't showing any signs of life (We're in zone 6). Do you think it should be showing some growth by now? Everything else here is looking great. I wasn't sure if roses may just come up a lot later or something, but my neighbor is afraid she has lost it. Thanks a lot!

I'm in zone 8, and my roses bloomed out about 2 weeks ago, but my minature climbing roses have just started this week. I don't know lots about roses, but it seems that once my bushes start showing signs, everything kinda happens quickly.

Sherri
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I don't know a ton about roses either....but I'm in zone 6 too, and my parents have a lot of roses---climbers, ramblers, bushes and theirs have all at least got a lot of leaves on them right now. No flowers yet of course, but lots of leaves.

Sure hope you get a good answer. thumbup

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Scratch a branch to see if there's any green underneath it. Some of mine aren't showing any life yet, I'm in zone 4.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
is the rose new as of last summer or is it an established bush? also, what type? basic bush, climber/rambler, floribunda type, tea? does she have other roses (either the same kind or even something different)?

if she's got others and they're growing, then it's likely that this one is gone. especially if it just went through it's first winter (and such a weird one, at that!) or if she moved it in the fall (the funky winter on top of a recent move).

if she doesn't have any bushes to make comparision with, she can check the canes. take the top of one and bend it back (a couple of inches down from the end) if it breaks off, then that portion is dead. if it breaks and she can see bright green underneath, then that cane is still viable. check all the canes in this way - go down them a bit more if the end tip comes off dead. a dead tip doesn't mean the whole cane is gone.

i've got numerous roses...some bush, some rambler, some climber and i think the one is a floribunda. most are established plants...the one i shocked in the spring last year when i moved it, came through it and grew more last year and is getting ready to bloom now...i see the tiniest of buds forming.

the rest of them are transplants from 2 years ago - they are all up and growing. only one has the beginnings of buds. they ALL have lots of leaves going, tho.

the new one that i planted last year did not make it...even though it was planted early enough and did grow last year (it wasn't the best growth, tho). it's dead as a doornail, as they say.

it's possible that this rose she has is a late leafer. altho, since i'm in the same zone and all mine have had leaves for almost a month now, i'm kind of leaning towards it being gone. altho, the temp in your area WILL have an affect. you may still be having colder temps during the day. might want to hold off a couple of weeks, just to be sure, before pulling it up.

Zone 6b
If you are along Lake MI roses should be starting up around now. Lake Huron side will be slower and the farther north on either shore will be behind the above spots. Anything in the center of the state and anything low lying will be even later. For Mi zone 6a my roses just started breaking bud this week. They are in a southwest spot along a brick wall.

Was the rose mulched over winter? Do the cane test mentioned in the previous post. For roses to be hardy in MI they have to grown from certain named rootstock. If your neighbor purchased a rose not hardy to MI it's possible it didn't survive over the winter. Especially a yellow rose. Those are not long lived here. If the tip test shows the rose to be living, keep it watered for now. When soil is dry 2" down water it from ground level. If a freeze is predicted protect the roots. Freezes are common here thru Memorial Day.

OP Offline
Thanks so much for your replies! We're pretty sure she has lost it for sure now. It still looks just totally dead and there are just no signs of life anywhere. I think it might have to do with the fact that she didn't mulch it at all last year, and also moved it.

OP Offline
Here is a picture of what it looked like. I don't know which variety it was:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gardenkitten; May 14th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
OP Offline
Oh my goodness, you guys aren't going to believe this (or maybe you will lol.) I went to examine it again and there are a few leaves on one of the canes! It looks like all the other canes are totally dead and gone, but one somehow survived. I can't believe it has taken this long. I'm glad it (partially) survived!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yay, good news.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image