Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#405242 Mar 13th, 2020 at 08:55 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I hope you are all well. We are chugging along. Staying in has us more outside than previously. Between raindrops we are getting some outdoor stuff accomplished. Living in the boonies has benefits.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #405243 Mar 13th, 2020 at 12:35 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks for the new Coffeehouse Tina.

School was cancelled again today...this March snow is never ending. It seems that every 3 or 4 days it snows at least a foot.

I am glad that the outdoor chores are getting done for you Tina.

They have closed all schools and day cares in the neighboring province for two weeks, any public gathering of over 100 people has to be cancelled as well. Our Prime Minister's wife has tested positive for the Coronavirus...he is really starting to clamp down because of this.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Tina #405244 Mar 13th, 2020 at 03:28 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Today our president finally called this a national emergency but I'm not seeing much in the way of national plans yet, We'll see. Our governor has a better handle on it all. I'm looking to hunker down for at least 2 months. But could be longer. And I'm ready.
Were your stores cleared out when you went last, Sunny?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405245 Mar 13th, 2020 at 07:10 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I went to the local Dollar General on Wednesday and they were well stocked, as the supply tractor trailer has just been there in Monday. But I went today again on Friday and almost all the TP and such was gone. The grocery store was in good shape though. I will say the socio-economic scale in the town where the Dollar General and the Grocery is is not such that people can buy much up ahead.
Last night, Val and Brian finished out stocking up for us. Tomorrow I will buy meat at the local small meat market, then except for the necessary outings, we will be staying in for a good while.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #405246 Mar 13th, 2020 at 08:44 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Sweet Dreams, Tina..Sleep well.

________

Tina #405247 Mar 13th, 2020 at 09:11 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Is Val's school staying open, Carol?
Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405248 Mar 14th, 2020 at 12:38 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I guess it is....for now anyway....she is coming by tomorrow with my Amazon order...! Will be sure to talk to her about it.

I cannot sleep, so this is my mid--night walk thru.

I hope you all are having sweet dreams.

________

Tina #405249 Mar 14th, 2020 at 03:55 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Tina, my local store and pharmacy were out of Lysol and sanitizer(thankfully I always buy and keep that here ahead)...food stocks were o.k. but DD was at Walmart and she said that they can't keep the shelves stocked.

I was watching the news where it was showing shelves completely bare and no one can find toilet paper anywhere. One lady was begging for someone to sell her a can of infant formula and diapers because someone wiped the shelf clean. Those poor babies.

We got a call last night from the school board, all schools in the province of New Brunswick are now closed for two weeks starting Monday....there will be lots of children in need of baby sitters.

Tina #405250 Mar 14th, 2020 at 08:26 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, and children that rely on the breakfast and lunches served at school are going to be hurting. Los Angeles schools are out until further notice. I feel for their kids. And donated to a local food bank. They are hurting too.
Good morning. Happy Pi Day. I'm starting with a cherry turnover. That counts as a hand pi, right?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405251 Mar 14th, 2020 at 10:59 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,

Well so far in boonies of Az we are doing ok... with my lousy immune system my doc said stay home... so am doing that..hubby went last week and stocked us up on lots of staples , we had a lot of some stuff anyway from out once every 2 months trips to the Costco.. he just bought extra of the stuff we use a lot so we wouldn't have to go out if it gets really bad... I feel for people who can't do this... I think it may get worse before it gets better... we are keeping an eye on lady next door , she lives alone and while she has a daughter here she is kind of a flake and expects her Mom to fix her problems...
Have a good day all... hope everyone is well and stays that way...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #405252 Mar 14th, 2020 at 03:23 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Back where I used to live, they have cancelled school for at least ,2 weeks.Thry have set up several places around the 3 area towns that will have breakfast and lunch foods for all school kids. Hopefully they are spread out do the kids or adults can easily get food. That will help a lot, I am sure.

________

Tina #405253 Mar 14th, 2020 at 03:52 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, Ours go to schools and the local parks to spread them out. The kids are told to line up loosely with space between them and sent up individually to get a sack lunch. In their lunch bags are a sandwich, mostly bologna (with no condiments ), a banana and an apple and milk.. Then the kids can take them home but most congregate in age groups at various picnic tables to eat and visit. It seems to defeat the out of school thing. I worry about the kids that can't get to the parks or schools for the lunches though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405254 Mar 14th, 2020 at 11:42 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405255 Mar 15th, 2020 at 06:49 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Food banks are so abused here that not too many donate. It is frustrating because if only those who were in real need used them then they would be taken care of so well. We donate to DH's church because they know who is in real need and do a drop off to them directly.

As crazy as this sounds, a single parent with two kids on welfare and government subsidies takes in the same amount as my husband working. It boggles the mind to think about it..

I heard a woman say that she sends her kids to school with no breakfast and lunch because why spend the money if she doesn't have to. What life lessons are these to teach kids.

They have just announced here for all persons over 70 to quarantine themselves for their safety.

Tina #405256 Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:17 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
And my state has closed down.Everything is shut down here. No gatherings over 250 people. Social distancing is a fact, not just a good idea. Disneyland is closed for awhile. It has only closed twice before : one day when JFK died and one other day. It has never closed for anything else in its 60+ years.. That should tell you how important the 'distancing' thing is here. One has died and we cannot get enough tests from the Feds. The more tests the more the numbers go up and the numbers are not good politics. This is a disaster.
I am proud of all who are staying home and being sensible. For some living in apartments it means living closer than they like. But it doesn't mean lockdown like prison. They can still go out and run if that is their thing. Just should stay away from the steamy, sweaty gym (if it's even open). I like what my state is doing.
I remember polio, but just barely. The Spanish Flu of 1918 is a better clue. It swept the world and seemed OK with a few more deaths than usual. Then it morphed and came through again. Not OK. It took about a third of the population or more. They didn't keep records as well back then.
We don't have enough beds or ventilators in hospitals. This has barely begun. The Tsunami is coming.
I am glad that you listened to me when I first talked about it. I hope you all stay safe.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405257 Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:30 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I am glad that you are prepared and I hope that friends and family took heed to your warnings as well Tina kissie

They are talking about restricting travel between provinces here...that will be a mess in itself since everything is trucked in or out. I am going to load up on citrus juices/canned fruit tomorrow....fresh/frozen fruit will be impossible to find. It's already at prices that are impossible. I paid $10 for a dozen oranges the other day...it was a wonderful treat though.

Sunflowers #405258 Mar 15th, 2020 at 11:35 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
The way I hear it about the testing kits is the private sector that makes them is ramping up production, but are not there yet. The federal government does not make them.

I am glad that the powers that be in California are taking such good care of it's citizens Tina. AND I thank the Lord that you told us what you did, when you did so we here got a jump on this mess.
Thank you again, Tina. We owe you a lot.

I am going out tomorrow to get the second shingles vaccination, ( they are a series of 2 remember) while I still can go out. I will call the pharmacy first, though.

________

Tina #405259 Mar 15th, 2020 at 03:04 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
The government does not make the test kits. But they have to OK them for use.. And then they had to check the results of every single one that came up positive before it would 'count'. And they have not been able to keep up. There are major universities working on them and A bunch ready to use that are not certified. But our state is going to use them and post their own results. The CDC has been cut over the last three years so it's nearly useless. The FDA has been cut too. The pandemic team that was set up during the N1H1 epidemic was obliterated. The federal government is failing all of us.
The house worked with the administration all week to fund a bunch of things that would help for a start on this. On Friday night the house passed the bill. But it's got to wait for the senate to pass it and the president to sign it. The senate took off Thursday afternoon for a 3 day weekend. Maybe they will get around to it Monday. I hope it doesn't sit with the other 390something bills the house has sent to them that are collecting dust.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405260 Mar 15th, 2020 at 03:42 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sunny, I hope you can find your fruit at reasonable prices. I wish you could grow your own. I remember my mother's stories of the fresh fruits and veggies in Chicago growing up. There were few and none affordable. When my grandmother moved to California, she planted fruit trees. My mother followed her out a year or two later and did the same.
I don't believe they would restrict goods from going across province lines. Mostly just people. Let us know what they decide. Interrupting the supply chain any more than necessary would be wrong.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405261 Mar 15th, 2020 at 04:15 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I wish we could grow more items here as well Tina. I suppose that we should be glad to get what we can with such a short growing season....every little bit counts.

All the tests here in Canada have to be confirmed by one lab in Winnipeg, Manitoba....it is going to be a long process.

Tina #405262 Mar 15th, 2020 at 05:32 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I can see why. It is to keep count of this. And that is a good, necessary thing. But ours want to be sole keepers of the numbers for their own reasons. Not so good. Our Governor won't let the numbers be spun. Neither will others. It's a kind of fight. The tests will be given to the government for verification and counting but we will keep our numbers also.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405263 Mar 15th, 2020 at 09:05 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405264 Mar 15th, 2020 at 09:28 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Sweet Dreams 💤

________

Tina #405265 Mar 16th, 2020 at 05:00 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning all. GB is here so bacon is on the menu for the morning.....and lots of coffee for me lol

Sunflowers #405266 Mar 16th, 2020 at 06:46 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning !

Yay for bacon. You are a good Grammy, Sunny.
And yay for coffee.
We have plenty of coffee. That was high on the priority list.
What I should have bought was.more water. We use it for coffee and I drink it. I may have Val to deliver some down the road.

________

Tina #405267 Mar 16th, 2020 at 07:48 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Is there something wrong with your tap water, Carol?
Good morning. I don't know what is on my menu today. But I think I'll be cooking something.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405268 Mar 16th, 2020 at 08:04 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
No my water is fine, but there are 2 issues. 1) we have a water softener and with my heart condition I am not drinking it. 2) And then the single serve portion of our coffee maker will get ruined if we use water-softened water in it.. Our water ruined our Keurig, so we got this dual coffee maker. We are trying to take care of it. AND sad thing is most people around here that have water softener water, have one spigot that has plain water, we do not. The people that lived here before us did many things " differently" sad to say.

________

Tina #405269 Mar 16th, 2020 at 12:30 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,

We are all fine here in southern AZ, I am staying home as much as I can and hubby is doing the shopping, that was our usual anyway but being more careful now... he did go out a couple weeks ago and we stocked up more than usual.. we use bottled water here too , our tap water is very salty tasting so I won't drink it for that reason... even out dog gets bottled.. he won't drink the tap either...

I worry about my kids in Colo.. daughter and grandson work in a grocery store and they have to clean the checkstands every hour.. I am praying they don't get sick but scared it's almost a given.. pray for everyone actually... we aren't going out to sis in laws either.. her hubby thinks it's all made up and still has all his cronies there everyday drinking beer in his barn.. she is diabetic and non of us are young so that's worrisome to me.. told her to add us to her people who can pick up her insulin at the drugstore so she doesn't have to come into town but he told her that was not necessary.... hope she did it anyway...

Well off to clean house some and find a new book to download...I read way to fast!

Take care all.... Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #405270 Mar 16th, 2020 at 04:32 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm glad that I'm naturally a hermit type. I don't know what my family is up to so no stories. Keep safe, Sherri.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405271 Mar 16th, 2020 at 05:41 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, the pandemonium has hit here....our stores are stripped bare. I went today and could not even get fresh milk...they told me to go back tomorrow after 10 a.m. the truck will be in. I plan to get some by the bag and freeze it.

Tina #405272 Mar 16th, 2020 at 07:31 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope you can get it, Sunny. I truly do.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405273 Mar 16th, 2020 at 07:47 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
They are not saying for 2 weeks any more. It is "at least" two weeks.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405274 Mar 16th, 2020 at 07:51 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
They are not saying for 2 weeks any more. It is "at least" two weeks.
Yes, I caught that. TPTB here are saying the schools will be closed to at least April 3 .
It would probably be smart to leave the schools closed until next fall.. or run them all summer and close back down on the late winter.

________

JunieGirl #405275 Mar 16th, 2020 at 08:04 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I have errands to run tomorrow..they need to be done so I can then stay in.
So, I will say goodnight niw. " See" you all tomorrow.

Nite-Nite

________

Tina #405276 Mar 16th, 2020 at 09:27 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams, Carol. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow. well. except to the dumpster and to check my mail.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405277 Mar 16th, 2020 at 10:22 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Sleep well, Tina.I

Nite nite wavy

________

JunieGirl #405278 Mar 17th, 2020 at 06:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning.!

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

________

Tina #405279 Mar 17th, 2020 at 09:21 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, Happy St, Patrick's Day.
And top O' the morn to all.
Did you find all you needed on your errands yesterday, Carol?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #405280 Mar 17th, 2020 at 10:57 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes I did and I also found iut, if I wrapped it correctly, I could send my DD hand sanitizer as long as I put the bottle in a zip top bag and packaged it correctly. I did and it cost me $19.00 to send it prioity...but then, my DD cannot find any in Virginia.

Now to see if it gets there.....

________

Tina #405281 Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:56 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Did you get some for yourself too? That stuff is nearly priceless here. I have several quart containers here. One less than before because I donated some to the resort next door.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image