I don't know why this is called Yankee-Style.
I tried to get angelblossem to try this for a few years but she thought it was too hard.
Then she came to visit and found out she was very wrong.
Makes 16 servings
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour then 250 degrees for 3-4 hours
Cook sauce for ½ hour then sauce and meat together for 1 hour
Total time to prepare 6-8 hours
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 beef brisket (4-5 pounds)
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 onion coarsely chopped
1 bottle ketchup (14 Oz.)
1 jar chili sauce (12 Oz.) (optional, may make it spicy hot, may replace all or part with ketchup)
¼ cup molasses (I use dark molasses)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons hot-pepper
sauce (optional, may make it spicy hot, may omit)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 ½ cups water
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice or lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat. Add meat; brown on both sides; about 4 minutes on each side.
3. Sprinkle liquid smoke over the bottom of a roasting pan. Place rack in pan then place meat on rack; cover.
4. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to 250 degrees. Bake for 3 to 4 hours more or until fork tender.
5. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion: cook 6 minutes or until softened. Add rest of ingredients except limejuice (ketchup, chili sauce, molasses, vinegar, hot-pepper
sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper
, and water). Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in limejuice. When cool pour in bowl and refrigerate until the meat is cooked.
6. When meat is done and cool enough to handle, pull apart into strands. Cut into 2-inch pieces and add to sauce.
7. Return meat and sauce to Dutch oven. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add more water to cooking if necessary. Serve on toasted buns with potato
Recipe from Family Circle Magazine (I don’t have the issue date or number)