Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#401246 Dec 14th, 2018 at 04:52 AM
OP Offline
I am putting in a system to the water garden. want to tap into the main line off of the well pump or hose bib on side of the house. I have 46 psi at the pressure tank. I'm going to T it, put a reducer to 3/4 inch since this is the brass garden valve sizes I'm finding. I'm familiar with the PVC to copper transition pieces.

My only question is what is the best material pipe to use out of the ground between the irrigation main line and the brass spigot? I understand PVC is not meant for above ground in the sun.
So my assumption is copper. But the plumber told me that the copper pipes at Home Depot that are sold in short lengths like 2 feet seem to have a very thin thickness to their walls. I fear they could easily be damaged. Should I use copper? Can I find it thicker and yet in short lengths? Are there no pipes of brass, with thick walls like the brass fittings?

Thanks

David Ber #401247 Dec 14th, 2018 at 06:44 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Try your local farm store...you can buy specialized piping there. It is UV resistant, also please install a shut off for Winter protection.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
David Ber #401251 Dec 14th, 2018 at 11:49 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
If you cannot bury a short run of standard PVC then, as Sunflowers suggests, I'd go seeking UV resistant piping from a farm store. I would definitely recommend a manual shutoff valve.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image