Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#401116 Nov 28th, 2018 at 12:25 PM
MaVen Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all !
I have had this Christmas cactus for almost 10 years now. I repotted it about a month ago (trying to give it more soil for the christmas bloom) and noticed the past week that the leaves were turning pink. A quick search yielded that the roots might be rotting. I look around the pot and sure enough, the roots were rotting. I took the plant out of the pot and trimmed the roots (cutting and throwing the rotted roots away). I am attaching pictures of where I trimmed it.
My question is - do I directly put this in the soil now - or do I put this in water, for some roots to form ? Please help !!!!
Many thanks in advance for your help !
MaVen

Plant Pic 1.jpg (252.88 KB, 23 downloads)
Plant Pic 2.jpg (269.84 KB, 23 downloads)

MaVen
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello MaVen, and welcome.

You can root your Christmas cactus both ways.

for using water: put put about 1 cm of water into a wide mouthed glass (example is a short plastic cocktail glass) it should root.

As for in dirt:
First let the fresh cutting to dry at least a few hours to avoid potential stem rot from excessive moisture.
Use a moist peat and sand soil mix . Insert the segment about a quarter of it's length into the soil...avoid placing the pot in direst sunlight. Water sparingly the first 2 or 3 weeks to avoid rotting. You could try misting it well. after 2-3 weeks it should show signs of growth at the tips of it's leaves, which is usually reddish in color. after the cutting has rooted you can transplant the cutting into a pot of loose potting soil, and to add a little sand and or compost would be good.

good luck !

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
MaVen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, JunieGirl ! I will be putting these in water tomorrow and hope they will grow some roots. There are so many buds :(

I really should have known better !

MaVen

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image