Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#400032 Aug 1st, 2018 at 02:54 PM
OP Offline
Hi Folks;

I am not an avid gardener but I have gotten a few plants and I thought I was doing pretty well with them...until recently. I live here in Hawaii and my plants sit outside facing the West side of the islands, so it gets a lot of afternoon sun. I don't have an option to place them any where else on my property.

I saw a video online (stupid link on Google) about Martha Stewart and her Gollum Jade plants. It made me want to get one so I did; in fact I got two. I read as much as I could and planted the cutting in a pumice/coco peat mixture (90/10 mix) and it was doing pretty good over the last year. However a couple of months ago I noticed the leaves (is that what you call those little E.T. toe looking things?) turning a bright yellow on one of them. I am frugal with the watering and I use Osmocote granules to fertilize on it's own. I slowly acclimated them to be outside and I thought all was well until the yellowing of the leaves. I read that it could be from over watering, but I can't see that happening as the media is almost pure pumice and it is a clay pot. When the plant started to yellow, i put a bit more osmocote on it and thought it was a nutritional issue but then I saw the leaves start to get sunburned. I moved the plant behind another larger plant to shield it from the sun but it didn't help and now almost all the top leaves are burnt as well. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's going on. I rarely move the plants, in fact they have been in the same spot for the last year. I do occasionally turn them, to give the other side of the plant a chance to get some sun but it's never gotten sunburned before.

My questions are;
1) why is it only one plant that is turning yellow and getting sunburned? The other one is thriving.
2) I moved the plant with the sunburned leaves indoors (facing a window and the same side of my place), is that the right thing to do?
3) I don't believe it's too much moisture, so what could have caused the yellowing and subsequent sunburn?
4) Unrelated, but curious....why do some leaves come out HUGE but most look like a regular Gollum/E.T. fingers?

I have included some photo's for reference. 2 are of the relatively healthy one and the other is of the sick one.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Spf Please (2).jpg (70.89 KB, 41 downloads)
overall Healthy.jpg (94.88 KB, 40 downloads)
Overall healthy (2).jpg (78.97 KB, 41 downloads)
SPF please.jpg (66 KB, 39 downloads)
I bought some succulents from Orchid Republic in Sherman Oaks last month. I've learned that succulents like jade plants are susceptible to sunburn. Moving your plant to an area with less sun is a good idea. You can place it near a south-facing or west-facing window. Just water it when the soil/medium is dry, usually once a week. Hopefully your Jade plant will be fine.

moelena #400133 Aug 12th, 2018 at 03:31 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for your response. I have moved them indoors and I'm watching to see if they heal. The tips are burnt pretty bad but overall it looks ok. I still don't know why one thrives and the other burned, but I'm beginning to think that the changing seasons and the increased sunlight was too much for it. Take care.

Has your plant gotten better now?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
as a side note--I left my plants out when I brought them to my new home..They too got a bit burned,,,I took them inside and while the leaves that got burned, are still burned, the rest of the plant is doing well,.so do not get discouraged, your plants should survive and do well.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image