Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#400527 Sep 23rd, 2018 at 07:23 AM
OP Offline
I have 2 rose of Sharon bushes and would like to grow more. Although I've read new plants will sprout up from the dropped seeds from parent plant, I've never had such luck. My question is - can I just pick the seed pods from the plant, or do I really need to wait until they actually fall off, and collect them from the ground. Does it matter as far as seed health?

Bloomthomp #400530 Sep 23rd, 2018 at 01:25 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I believe you can just remove mature seeds from a rose of Sharon bush and place in moist soil; adding a little milled sphagnum moss on the surface of moist soil will help prevent fungi.

You can also propagate a rose of Sharon bush by taking 6-8" softwood (flexible) clippings in the late spring or early summer from a mature bush. Cut at a slight angle, and trim away all but the top several leaves. Dip cuttings in a rooting hormone, and place 3" deep in a mixture of one-half general-use potting soil with one-quarter sand and one-quarter vermiculite, that has been combined well. Press firmly around the cuttings to eliminate air pockets in the soil. Take care to never allow cuttings to dry out. Roots should begin to show within 2-3 weeks.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image