Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#400470 Sep 15th, 2018 at 08:56 PM
Farang Offline OP
OP Offline
In the reverse of the normal course (growing tropical plants in the temperate zone) I am trying to grow temperate plants in the tropics and would be grateful for suggestions and advice. I know some genera will be impossible (e.g. Primulas), because the local temperatures inhibit germination anything over 15-20C (60-70F) when our local minimum is 25C (77F). I have had success with Cosmos and Gerbera, but tree lupins germinated and opened cotyledons, but then succumbed to insect predation coupled with heavy rain. I have thought of trying Aquilegia, Digitalis, Lupins, Penstemon, Rudbeckia and Salvia, and would be pleased to hear comments and suggestions.

Last edited by Farang; Sep 15th, 2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add new species
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've grown digitalis from seed and although they didn't bloom the first year, which I found out is normal, they did fine. I don't think the seeds need cold treatment and since the plant likes moist soil, it might be good for your region.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image