Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#399844 Jul 13th, 2018 at 03:44 AM
OP Offline
There are a lot of raccoons in my attic. I learned that it's important to get them out of our attic as soon as possible. Their waste products accumulate quickly. They will bring their friends or children to our attic. Raccoons are highly intelligent and curious creatures. It can destroy our gardens, mess the garbages and can cause damages while searching for food. Raccoons are pretty smart. They run away from humans, but the chance of attacking dogs and cats are high. My puppy is a victim of raccoons. By God's grace, he is still alive. They also damaged my house insulation. One day I planned to trap them. They do go out at night searching for food. At that time, I locked them out. But I don't know what miracle happened. Sure enough, the next morning I saw the same raccoons in my attics. When I was in Kitchener, I had a humane animal control company to do it for me. They clear those nuisances efficiently. They also reinforced other areas where they thought the raccoon might be able to get in.
Can anyone suggest some good and reliable ways to remove these disturbing creatures? Trapping these creatures is not an easy task. I really need a better solution.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My parents had raccoons at their house and the only thing that worked was an exterminating company. No idea what they did but after at least 2 years of problems the raccoons have been gone for probably 5 years. Before they called the company they made sure all food, bird seed, Christmas decorations, anything they might chew on were in tight containers. They caulked every tiny opening they could find and put screen first, then some type of hard wire over the openings that need to let air in the top of the house. They cleaned out their attic and under their house. They did a lot but it was like a husband and wife lived their and then had babies and just wouldn't move out. I don't remember that they every tried trapping them but it was the exterminating company that did the trick.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Raccoons will get in at no expense..especially if she has babies in that attic. I agree it is better to call animal control. Getting a trap yourself is easy enough but if she has rabies, it is a dangerous situation.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
After getting rid of them, seal off the possible openings through which they could have gained entry.

I agree definitely call a professional pest removal service if they were in my attic. And then make sure there is nothing enticing them into your yard for example dog or cat food left outdoors, branches they can use to climb over fences, open spaces under decks, etc. Raccoons not only carry diseases but can be incredibly nasty when trapped. We had an issue not with them in our attic but in our pool. The raccons were bathing and pooping in it. Apparently they like to go to the bathroom in the water.

A neighbor lent us an old havahart trap and we placed a can of tuna inside and caught one of them on the first night it was out. However he kept trying to swipe at us and since the spacing in the cage was enough for him to get his arm through we couldn't grab the cage by the handle to pick it up without risking being badly scratched. And there was no way I was putting that cage with that nastly little guy in my car to drive it somewhere to release it. I could only imagine what he'd to it with those claws and most likely pee and poop as well. So we had to let him go in our yard which was a dissapointment.

What worked for us was an floating alligator decoy. It's just a head but it looks like a real swimming gator. He floats around with the movement from the pump and has kept the raccoons and waterfowl away. They don't seem to be aware there aren't any gators in New Jersey haha. Defininetly worth trying for those with a pool or pond, not for your attic though, that's a job for the pro's.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image