Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39971 May 8th, 2007 at 11:58 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone and greetings from sunny Harrow in England.

I need advice on my peach tree, which I planted several years ago and which, last year, for the first time really, produced a huge crop of delicious fruit. My problem is that the tree is listing at an alarming angle (about 60 degrees)? I have pruned the extremities to make it more compact but wonder if there is anything more I should be doing to help ensure it doesnt eventually topple over (or am I worrying about nothing!?)

Last edited by starfish; May 8th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
starfish #40348 May 9th, 2007 at 04:03 AM
What are the conditions it is growing in? Is this a new thing? Can you stake it? If you don't mind losing peaches for a year, can you unplant it, straighten & replant?

myndful #40665 May 9th, 2007 at 09:03 AM
OP Offline
Hi myndful,

I planted the tree about 10 years ago and I think it would die if I tried to replant it. It was placed quite close (too close! about 8 feet) away from a privet hedge and so, naturaly, I guess, grew away from there in an effort to get more light. Its now about 15-20 ft high, so light competition isnt an issue. First few years it only had about 6 fruits a year - then last year it had about 100 of the most fantastic tasting fruit. So I dont want to lose it!It was staked originally, but as it grew the bindings stretched and dropped away. It is still very healthy, but I'm not sure if trees such as peaches routinely grow at weird angles. I think I will try and restake it (though the trunk is pretty thick). I had also been thinking of fashioning some sort of cradle and propping it up with that (e.g, and most simply, knocking the top bar off the handlle of an old spade, putting some rubber or cloth in the groove and placing it for support).
Or maybe I should just try and make it a tourist attraction - akin to the the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

starfish #41042 May 10th, 2007 at 04:23 AM
Wow, I was thinking just a few years when I read "several"...

I would say that as long as you don't try to change the angle, staking it is probably the best idea. Although - a prop bar could be worth a try - maybe need to concrete it in the ground if it is to really be supportive.

myndful #41180 May 10th, 2007 at 07:57 AM
OP Offline
Thanks - I think your tip on concreting is a good idea and I think I'll try that. Much obliged!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image