Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#398462 Mar 9th, 2018 at 02:15 PM
mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
We are going to build a wall in our back yard. (we as in MY HuBBy and his imaginary friend) Anyway i am doing the research for all the things needed and of course the submersible pump. A lot of this is not etched in stone, but our thoughts are a wood wall, with a corrugated galvanized sheet trimmed in wood as the middle portion. We are trying to match some other things in the yard, anyway, this galvanized wood trimmed sheet would be about 5 feet or so tall and at the bottom would be the thing the water falls into. It would be about 4' L x 1' D x 2' H. Or something like that. Remember nothing in stone yet. So the water would need to carry up to the top of the wood trimmed wall and then waterfall out. about 5' up or a little more since the pump is submersed. My husband is more inclined to say it would trickle out, but I would say between a trickle and a fall. Anyway I have read a bit about GPH and I think that a 500GPH would work, since we don't want a gushing waterfall.

Any suggestions?

And thanks for any help, it is a long question with all the explanation...

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I wish my husband were still alive. He would have the math to match your question (and enjoy it!).
I would go to a pond place to find your answer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I don't know too much about waterfalls but I do know a bit about farming. A 5 ft Head will need more than a 500gph pump. Have you asked at the supply store...they'll have the formula for the exact dimensions.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I found out a bit of info for you Mary, but I am away from my computers until tomorrow.when I have access to it again I will post the info to you.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Here ya go Mary. the below information is from Plant N Pots's Husband, he did a lot of water feature work in their yard. (New York)

Don said to tell Mary to go to either Webbswater.com or Waterfordgarden.com (this one is local to us and where we buy a lot, and they can calculate the TDH (Total discharge head) from the lowest point where the pump intake will be to the top of the wall. They can figure the gallons / hour there to see what size they need.

I hope this helps you Mary

________

mj1957 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well thanks to all for your answers. I will certainly look at the websites suggested, Junie. Where I start getting a little confused is the rate of water that DH wants to flow out. He wants more of a rain, and not a gusher like a water fall. But I will look at those websites and maybe make some calls too. Sunflowers, in answer to your question, yes actually all of my research tells me we need more than 500gph, but DH thinks that considering the flow he is after, that should be enough. I will make some calls and if we get something too small I will determine first if we can return and exchange for something bigger.

It is only 36 degrees here today ant is supposed to get 50, but all cloudy outside with wind, so I kind of doubt it will warm up that good. The water pump will probably not be needed today anyway! shewinks

Again thanks for all the help!! Experience always speaks louder than "googling"!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Mary, please let us know how things turn out for you.

________

mj1957, did you try to make that waterfall interconnected with a pond?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image