Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39402 May 7th, 2007 at 09:35 PM
OP Offline
looks like anytime i want to repot a plant it dies on me. :mad:i repotted the ivy (check previous post by me)and it died. now my boston fern is looking sadder than when i first got her. she was so full, but because she was so big i repotted her to give her space. whyi dont really know what im doing wrong. i get a bigger pot and some dirt and fill its surrounding then i water alittle. is there something else that i should be doing? could there be something wrong with my soil? shock p.s. on occasions i see those tiny flies flying around my house. kinda look like fruit flies. does this have anything to do with my plant? btw, my other plants are doing fine.Top pic is the before, bottom is what she now looks like. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jiffymouse; May 8th, 2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: photos too large, resized to 640x480
soliisoul #39410 May 7th, 2007 at 09:49 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
when repotting, it's important to know IF the plant in question actually needs to, or should be, repotted. there are quite a few different ones that like being root-bound.

soil is important as well...you need to have the correct soil for the plant. for example, cacti, aloe and other succulents need well-draining soil, african violets need something that will stay moist and not drain so well and then there are a ton of things that can go in regular old potting soil and do just fine. also, soil with food added can have positive and negative effects on plants - again, it depends on the type of plant. some need more 'feeding' than others to do well.

when repotting, it's important to not go up to too large a container. you should never go up more than two sizes at a time.

it's very easy to over water or under water a newly potted plant, too!! are you sure you watered it properly - taking in to consideration that it's in a larger pot now?

and if you move it to a new location at the same time as repotting, that can have a negative effect as well (jades, for example, don't like changes of any kind!).

can you post a pic of your fern? or at least tell us what kind it is?

what kind of soil did you use? how much larger is the new pot compared to the old? as in, how many inches in diameter, old one and new one.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #39424 May 7th, 2007 at 10:22 PM
OP Offline
Well, it was labeled a boston fern and i have added a before and after pic. the after pic is doing her a lot of justice. she really doesn't look this good. the before pic is on top. when i first bought her, she was hanging for the ceiling and her tails were so long that you had to move your head out of her way so not to get slapped in the face so i moved her and put her on top of one of those tall pieces of furniture and she is now closer to the window. (no direct sun just light)

and the soil packaging saids that it is plain soil with no food added so i added just about 10tiny pebbles of 10-10-10 so she'll have food in her next watering. i only went up one size in the pot and watered only so the soil was moist. i try to be careful about watering too much.

i usually wait til the soil is dry to the touch on top before thoroughly watering. she started in a 12 in. pot she is now in about a 14in. mined you, i repotted her about 2-3 weeks ago so she has had plenty of water since.

and what is up with the flies?

soliisoul #39833 May 8th, 2007 at 09:19 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
not enough humitity try puting it in the bathroom turn on ur shower create some steam

Last edited by sandy113; May 8th, 2007 at 09:20 AM.

Sandy
sandy113 #39973 May 8th, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i agree, lack of humidity is part of the issue. might even be getting too much light at this point. also, plain old shock - forgot to mention that in my other post!

the bathroom trick will help. daily spraying (at least once a day) will also. you can put a cup of water in the pot (on top of the soil) to give a more constant supply of humidity...since it's hanging from above, you won't be able to see it.

i'm not sure of the requirements they have with regard to feeding...i seem to remember they can easily be over-fed. no, 10 pellets doesn't sound like a lot...how quickly they breakdown and release the fertilizer may be another issue here. (as in too much too quickly).

the pot size increase is perfect.

i'd just focus on giving her more humidity. and some good deep waterings over the next couple of weeks. i bet, once the shock has worn off completely, you'll see some new growth happening!!

good luck!! she's a beauty!! (even in her distressed state!)

Zone 6b
Joclyn #40050 May 8th, 2007 at 01:29 PM
OP Offline
i do spray her every day but i guess she is not getting enough. my apartment is very dry. i will try the shower thing. thanks everyone!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image