Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#382185 May 11th, 2014 at 06:10 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
We bought our mother in law a flower basket with different types of plants, marigolds, petunias, asylum, and more. We gave it to her today for Mother's Day. the arrangement was so pretty she placed it on her kitchen table and all of the sudden her table was swarming with the black jumpers. We bought it at Home Depot on Monday and kept it outside until today (6 days) Never noticed anything? What could they be? They obviously came out of that plant or soil? Anyone know what they can be?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I don't suppose that you got a picture of them did you ???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
I'll bet the little rascals found the basket during the 6 days you were keeping it for Mom. Do you have a reputable family garden center close to you? Home Depot is a great place for hammers 'n nails; but they ship in all their plants from God knows where.

It will be springtails.Occasionally, springtails will migrate indoors during periods of heavy rains, or during prolonged hot, dry spells. If you have houseplants, they may have been living in the potting soil and simply escaped their pots. Homeowners may also find springtails around the outside of their homes, in driveways, or near the swimming pool. Like most decomposers, springtails prefer a moist, humid environment. When springtails invade homes, it's usually because conditions outdoors have become inhospitable, and they're seeking a location with appropriate humidity and moisture.

Those more knowledgable are probably correct about the springtails.

I have had a lot of trouble with flea beetles (not fleas) in my garden and in my lawn, so maybe that is something to consider as well. . .good luck with the problem!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image