Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#392531 May 21st, 2016 at 07:12 AM
Amadeo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, I want to repot my Peace Lilly,I have found some information about it in this article http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/peace-lily/peace...
,but it's still left me with some questions. It would be wonderful if someone could give me an appropriate advice please: In this article written that I need to use peat based compost with barks, perlite and loam. Should it be some particular peat based compost? And should I add the barks and the rest of stuff separately, and which exactly the kind of barks, and perlite do I need? I also don't really know what is loam, and should I use it necessary as well? And also, if I need to mix all of this separately then in which proportion should I do it? And I also heard that you need some stones on the bottom of the pot when repotting the Peace Lilly, I also would be interested to know how to do this! :)

Amadeo #392538 May 21st, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I used to have 2 lilies. They were gifts when my father in law died. I got sick of them after a while because they got gigantic and I put them on the screened in porch in the summer and they died.

I repotted several times and all I did was get a bigger pot, filled 1/3 with Miracle Grow potting soil, carefully removed the lilly, broke off most of the dirt around the root, put it in the pot and covered with new soil. When they would fit I'd sit them in the sink to water and drain, when they got bigger I sat them in the bathtub to water and drain. Then I was over them and put them on the porch.

Amadeo #392540 May 21st, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello & welcome to A Gardener's Forum.

I looked this up for you and here is what I found:

repotting is best done in the spring.

All of that preparation to make a well draining soil is not necessary. From what I read, Peace Lilies are not fussy and will grow well in almost all well draining potting soils. So, you could just buy a good potting soil.
If you are concerned, you could add some peat moss (it is sold with just that name in bags) to a regular potting soil that you have bought or if you have some sand you could add that to the potting soil mixture instead of peat moss.
I would think that a ratio of 1/4 peat moss or sand to 3/4 potting soil, or if you like 1/3 peat moss or sand to 2/3 potting soil would work well. You are just trying to make a better draining (looser) soil...Mix the 2 together well.

then:

Choose a pot that is one size larger.
(ex: is if the existing pot is 6 inches wide, then you should chose a pot that is 7 or 8 inches wide.

The pot can be made out of any material, but MUST have drain holes. If you would like, you can cover the drain hole/s with a coffee filter or a paper towel to prevent the dirt in the pot from washing out of the drain holes.

Place the old pot on its side, & lift the pot from the plant. Inspect the root system. Healthy roots are white or light colored. You can cut off any dark, black, soft or offensive smelling roots. Next loosen up the roots, esp. those that are going around the dirt in a circle.

Put a bit of soil in the bottom of the pot first, then add the lily and fill in the area between the existing lily ball and the new pot. firm down the dirt. When you are done, the top of the old dirt ball (where the lily meets the old soil) should be 1 inch from the top of the new pot.

Water in the lily until you see water running out of the drain holes.

Place plant in a area with indirect light and water only when the soil feels dry to the touch.

I hope this helps.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Amadeo #392550 May 22nd, 2016 at 01:56 AM
Amadeo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for advice guys, very happy that people can divide their opinion and knowledge with me to help me to understand what is the best thing to do! winky

Amadeo #392552 May 22nd, 2016 at 05:23 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
be sure to let us know what you end up doing & how the lily comes along.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #392554 May 22nd, 2016 at 06:34 AM
Amadeo Offline OP
OP Offline
Will do! hifive

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image