30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
What you'll need:
1/8 Cup of fabric softener
Just use your favorite scented one,,
2 tablespoons Baking Soda
Hot tap water ( to dissolve the baking soda better and blend the F softener and baking soda together better.
Spray bottle (Use an empty Febreze bottle or spray bottle about the same size,,)
combine all in bottle,
shake well .
Done,, that's it,

instead of fabric softener you can also use, a couple of good drops of concentrated scented oil, but be careful if you use the oils not to spray nears woods or leather, I suppose the same would go for the fabric softener as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks so much, Diane...

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree, great recipe to share.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
I'll try this one out for sure. Looks really easy and I already have the ingedients...I think lavender or lemon oil will be a perfect substitute for the fabric softener :)

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Number one
Save the plastic bags from shopping trips to line the small wastebaskets, not buy them.
2/ If you sew, make your own shopping bags out of old denim or heavy cloths, no need to purchase one.
3/ I use white vinegar for fabric softener.. Whitens the whites also.. Wont hurt colors.
4/ Save bacon drippings for using in frying pans.
5/ Use old towel an wash cloths to dust with an shine you autos.. They love it, no lint.
6/ Trade your extra seeds for ones you don't have an glory be what a nice spring..;o)
7/ Make your own seed envelopes out of pages of old seed catalogs.. they are tough.
Cut out he photos an match it to the seeds for good reference.
8/ Go on Utube an listen to your favorite melodys.. Type in utube, an the Artists name. I am fond of Daniel O'Donnell.. And country westerns..(Old ones)
9/ Pick your fruit in season an freeze an make jellys an pies all winter.. I have strawberrys, raspberrys, blueberrys.. ( Strawberrys I purchased when cheap.. Just had a bowl of raspberrys yesterday for lunch.. Taste like fresh.
10/ If you have forsthys bushes, take cuttings now an put them in water to to watch them bloom early.
11/take cuttings of your favorite house plants now an root for your buddies.. I notice I ought to do Christmas cactus.
12/ Have a friend in for lunch.. I had brother here Monday.. Made a fruit salad, bananas canned pears, grapes......He loved it . Just a simple fun lunch..Good for dieters.

Ok.. Now anyone else have a list or add to this go on an tell us your saving ways.
THanks.......b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Very informative, Barb, thanks.

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Do you guys make your own soap? Might be that I'm thinking of Jiffy. I did get a recipe for making bubble stuff for blowing bubbles with the kids. I love blowing bubbles.

I did follow Barb's advice on having forsythia bloom inside. It was beautiful to have it bloom in the winter.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I know Tina makes her own soap.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
From a different thread in the same forum:
I have been making my own laundry soap. I use dry detergent but this can also be made into a liquid (but it is gloppy and needs shaking constantly before use, I'm told)
The initial outlay seems expensive for 3 ingredients. But as you only use a tablespoon of the dry detergent for a load and at most 2 for very dirty loads, it is a real savings.
Ingredients:
1 bar of Ivory soap (or Fels Naptha)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing soda

The washing soda is the toughest item to find any more. I went to the pool supplies department and got pH Plus Fast dissolving soda ash. It is the same thing as washing soda.

The rest takes about 10 minutes. Grate the bar of soap. Mix in the Borax and the washing soda. Stir it up and store it covered.
Use about a tablespoon per load. This works in top loading washers as well as front loading. It is very low suds but it cleans my clothes well and rinses out well and doesn't irritate our skin at all.
It is not the least bit harmful to my plants and trees when the water runs outside. Very environmentally friendly.
Ivory soap grates easily and the shreds break up even more in the mixing. You end up with a fairly fine white powder that just smells clean.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I made the liquid kind last month...but I didn't care for it. It didn't make enough suds it seemed.

Tina, I made my washing soda. You take a large cookie sheet and bake your baking soda until it gets gritty.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I know that heating changes the chemical make up of baking soda. I really like the pH plus. One less step. I like the Ivory over other soaps too. And it is low suds but it is not the suds that clean the clothes. And I don't do liquid detergents at all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Any one making Bird seed cakes ? bells etc. I tried peanut butter an honey an seeds. Here the redwinged black birds too it all with them. Rats.

dodge

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Barb, if you want a suet cake recipe I have 1 or 2 I could share...

________

I cant see it.. help.

[Linked Image]

my pussy willow
daffys an begonia son gave me for Easter.. I am loving it
this is my own pw bushes an come back yearly. Daffys come back too. That's stretching a budget.LOL

Last edited by buscia zdyn; Apr 18th, 2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: needed words
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Photobucket does not allow posting your images to other websites; you can feel free to upload your photos directly to your posts via the "Attachment Manager" link on the reply screen (you can get to the full reply screen by clicking the "Use Full Editor" button at the bottom of the Quick Reply box).

We have a "How To" post "Local Image Embedding Options which walks you through our two upload options, uploading to our Picture Upload Service (which allows you to upload an image for use on our site), or uploading photos directly to your post.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Yesterday at school Colt's class rolled toilet paper rolls in honey then seeds then peanut butter. When he got home he climbed a tree and slid it over a limb.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Yesterday at school Colt's class rolled toilet paper rolls in honey then seeds then peanut butter. When he got home he climbed a tree and slid it over a limb.

WOW how cool, now that is a good project.....but I am thinking the climbing of the tree was the best part for him......

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
True Junie :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image