Rate Thread
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
As I'm sure many of you have heard, I'm one of the developers behind the forum software that we use here at AGF, and one of the big "upcoming" features is mobile compatibility for tablets and phones; which we now have here as of the latest update a few months ago (hey, it all needs to be tested somewhere, lol).

I'm curious if any of you have tried accessing the site (namely the forums) on a mobile device; how was your experience? Is there anything that you could think of to make it a more pleasurable experience?

Update: I modified the post to allow replies; I've never liked that users can't reply to an announcement, but you can now :P.

Have you accessed our forums on a mobile device? (Check any that apply)
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: Jan 29th, 2016 at 02:11 PM
Last edited by Gremelin; Jan 30th, 2016 at 08:46 PM.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Updated the way announcements work, you can now reply to any global announcements (never understood why the software didn't allow replies to announcements).

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I signed in on my iPhone. I can't imagine that I'll use the phone often, because of the screen size, but I didn't encounter any problems. I'll have to check it out on the iPad which is user friendly.

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
There are still a lot of things that may change before this version is released in a couple of months (it's been about a year on coding since it's such a substantial amount of coding that's ended up being rewritten), but a good portion was tested on an iPhone 4 (which has a fairly small screen size) and my iPod3g.

Previous versions didn't load anything comfortably; so we decided to work for smaller screens and added some elements for larger mobile devices as well.

During all of this I made tons of changes to the systems that operate the main site as well, so that even requests to that will be served adjusted for mobile devices as well.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My phone is a 4s until I upgrade this month. Halleluiah. The recent upgrades have just made it slower and slower. It loads quickly and is clear as a bell. It's just time consuming to navigate due to the small screen size. I think to quickly log in and read a few things while sitting in a waiting room it's fine but to use constantly not so good on the 4s. Of course, I'm 63 years old, and prefer a real paper book instead of a kindle and on and on and on :)

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Yeah, smaller screens are generally a "I wonder what's happening" thing, versus the larger screen devices like the newer iPhones or larger android devices (my Nexus 6 has a 6" screen).

A lot of the market is going mobile these days, our own traffic here shows:
Desktop: 62.79%
Mobile: 28.31%
Tablet: 8.89%

On one of my colleague's car site they've seen a nearly 50/50 split between mobile and desktop users.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Totally off topic but speaking of big and little, a while back everyone wanted phones, ipods, desktops and such as tiny as possible (in an unrelated field women's purses were microscopic and wouldn't hold anything) and now things are gaining size again (even the purses). What is the future size wise?

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Always willing to talk about technology, lol. Generally speaking, if it has a screen, people want it bigger (such as the Galaxy Note, or my Nexus 6 with a 6" screen); generally these larger screened phones are referred to as "phablets" (large phone/small tablet).

The new wave of "I can do WHAT with my phone?" is 3D, you can buy a device called the "Google Cardboard" (or one of the many various options that have stemmed from it) and place your phone inside and watch movies in 3D, view 3D photos (which are basically a panorama photo, that you can move around by moving your head), whereby the larger screen you have the bigger "IMAX Experience" you have. The caveat is that the larger the screen, generally, the larger the price tag.

A listing of "The Best Phones (more specifically, the best Smart Phones, according to Phone Arena) the average size of the devices are all on the larger size.

Tablets on the other hand, personally speaking, I prefer a smaller tablet; I had the Asus TF700t (more recently replaced by the Asus TF701t), which is a huge monster of a tablet (10.1"); where I figured "hey, I'm going to be watching movies on it all the time" it just ended up being bulky. Instead I have found a nice 7" tablet is the better option (the Asus Memopad HD7 that I bought for Trey that he got grounded from for bringing it to bed) a lot easier to take around places.

If I where to buy a tablet right now it'd probably be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 or the Amazon Fire which are both 7" tablets (the Amazon Fire is a whopping $50 retail, currently it's $40); you can see a comparison of the two here.

Now, with a computer, generally one talks about the monitor size, basically it's whatever is more comfortable for the user; I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 21" widescreen (what I do most of my work on) and nothing larger than a 28" wide screen (or so); the larger the screen here isn't nessessarily the best, after working on a gigantic screen you have a lot of real estate but it's a pain resizing all of the windows. Generally if someone wants a huge screen I'd recommend they go with 2 ~21" screens (your size may vary) as it's generally cheaper than a huge screen and a lot easier to manage (as your computer will do the adjusting, you just drag your windows where you want them, and they'll "snap" in that area).

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I promise to try getting on with my tablet tomorrow--and sadly it is a 10.1.....but hey, I like it....

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
No reason to feel sad about it, we worked on screen sizes from a 3" iPod to a 32" widescreen monitor in the hopes of making everything display comfortably for everyone; so, really, any tests you can make are very much appreciated :)

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
shewinks

________

The difference between an Apple iPhone 4S and a new phone, such as James's Google Nexus6 makes a huge difference in being able to enjoy the full internet while on the go.

1. Apple iPhone 4s

2. Google Nexus 6

Iphone4s.jpg (141.97 KB, 107 downloads)
Apple iPhone 4s
Nexus6.jpg (174.44 KB, 106 downloads)
Google Nexus 6
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I got the 4S when it first came out and still think the size is compatible to carrying in a purse or a pocket. Johnny has the 6s (I think) and it sticks out of his back pocket, which makes it easy to lose, so he wears a belt clip.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Ok I am here but for some reason my tablet will not allow me to click on a choice on the poll box.

BTW.....this is an Android tablet, and it is several years old.

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
What browser are you using on there? Is it just the stock one that comes with it, or have you installed something like Firefox or Chrome on it? I don't think we've done major testing with the default web browser on android devices, I'll have to crash through that soon.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Can we upload pictures to the mobile site like we can on FB?

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
The "File Manager" link exists only on the "Full Reply" page (not via the "Quick Reply" box), and Gallery forums work the same as well, via mobile; however, we currently only allow uploads of up to 2mb.

This would mean that your picture from your phone couldn't be larger than 2mb, at least until I can fiddle with the image quality settings and find one that would compresses uploads to a manageable size..

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
OP Offline
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
More information after testing attachments; the attachment manager does not compress or resize images in any way, and as such the maximum upload limit for it is 2mb.

The gallery forum options however do run the attachments through a compression routine and I'll need to toy with that a little bit to check the settings; if all pans out then the gallery forums will have a 4mb limit which will result in the images being less than 1mb once processed (more information as I get testing done).

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thank you.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gremlin.......you must be the brains of the Nexus 6.........congrads are in order.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
keep up the good work gremlin.
never enough clues for the desktops an mobiles. Bout time I learn one it disappears
dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image