Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jlv14 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a string of banana plant that i bought at the beginning of the year. I put it in a corner of the room that did not get enough light and it started to suffer. The "bananas' on it got very stringy and thin. I put it in a spot where it has better lighting and it bounced back a little but a lot of damage was already done. Part of the base of the plant has turned brown and died and most of my strings of bananas browned and died from the top down. However there are still a few left and growing well. Since I now have the light situation under control I have notices what I think are pups popping up in the soil around the base of the plant. Does anyone have any advice on the live cycle of this plant.

Is the parent plant dyeing and done or will it bounce back?
Do I need to do anything special to help the pups thrive and be healthy?
Any suggestions on pruning or clearing out the dead parts that are still very much wrapped up in some of the healthy parts.

Any information on this type of plant would be greatly appreciated as I really like it and don't want to loose it.

Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Hi I've never grown that particular plant but I found this website that may help

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/string-bananas-plant-dying-91795.html

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image