Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Can someone help me id the species of these tomatoes? My garden has beefsteaks, super beefsteaks (watery I guess), and many oblate sugary/tart syrupy that are real good. I would guess some Early Girls which are wrinkled oblate I guess. And I have globes but some have triangulated bottoms and rounder at the top. And I have heirlooms. Better Boy/Big Boy/Burpee's Big Boy which are beefsteaks. I don't really know except for a couple of the names over the years.

But I want to know the exact or approximate species.

I haven't a clue yet.

Thanks. [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankyguitarwatson/albums/72157655158460963[/img]

Last edited by FredGrassMan; Aug 19th, 2015 at 04:12 AM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm sorry. I don't know tomato types. I hope someone comes along who can help you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It is going to be hard to give you an exact i.d. but I'd put my bet on 'Better Boy' for those tomatoes.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I was trying to find a photo of the Big Boy tomato to compare,

but I am thinking Sunny is right in her bet. I too think those Tomatoes are "Better Boy"

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
Thanks, I think what I need to start doing is to make a list of properties that can help narrow it down.

The tomatoes in my pic (other than the one with the triangulated bottom which is a different variety) have an oblate sphere shape - they are round but squashed top to bottom. But some tomatoes develop wrinkles due to lack of water so it's hard to tell. But there is a tendency for a very large number of tomatoes in my garden to be perfectly smooth, and they are oblate spheres but taste-wise, some are tart and sweet, others are watery. The watery ones are more likely Butpee's Big Boy (a beefsteak), but the tart ones more likely something else - perhaps Better Boy. I'll keep working on this - it's important. But the smaller tomato with a triangulated bottom is very uniform species - all same size and shape. So I wonder which species - I was going to say Early Girl but I don't think so. So where aer the Early Girl tomatoes - I'll have to keep working on this. I think I need to take my time answering this. Sorry if I take your time too.
Better Boy is definitely one you would get in a grocery store or a stand near a grocery store - your typical tomato. That makes it likely

Last edited by FredGrassMan; Aug 19th, 2015 at 07:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image