Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi all,
I bought a couple of houseplants on a plant market in China today, and I haven't seen those before, at least as far as I remember. Anyone has any idea what kind or family they belong to ?
I need to figure out how to take care of them ;)

Plant 1
[Linked Image]

Leaves are shaped like rubber plants, though they are bright dark green. Leaves clearly drop after a while.

Plant 2
[Linked Image]

Bright warm green leaves, rather sturdy, with small needles on the edges. Grows on a round wooden stem.
Any ideas ?
Thanks !

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, sob.
These both look like some kind of caudiciform plants but I am not finding specific ones. The good part is that most need similar easy care. They store food and water in the fattened stems/base. Look up caudiciform plants and see if you can find yours.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
ah thanks,
I was able to figure out that plant 2 is actually an amia furfuracea , or cardboard palm. Cute, but very poisonous !

Plant 1 could possibly be one of the many Madagascar Euphorbias or Pachypodiums. I guess I can pinpoint it down when it ever starts flowering.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Your first plants look like plumerias to me. They grow in tropical climates, especially Hawaii, Malaysia, Thailand, etc, and their flowers are the ones that are used to make leis.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
You are right ! There is a distinctive leave pattern which I find on other pictures of plumerias.
Thanks!

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
You're welcome! I grow these plants, and am quite familiar with their leaves and flowers. I hope they grow well for you, and that you get flowers sooner than later. Since I live in NY, I have to bring them indoors for winters, so they don't grow as rapidly as they would in more tropical climates, and I will have to wait years to see flowers on most of mine. Will you be able to grow them outdoors year round?

Also, these are trees in their natural environments and will get VERY large if given room for their roots to grow fully. Otherwise you will stunt their growth dramatically if they are not going in the ground. I would suggest separating the 4 stems into their own larger pots. They are usually sold 1 stem to a pot. This is very unusual to see.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
It can get slightly frosty here during winter, so best kept inside.
I think the reason they sell them 5 stems in one pot is because of esthetics I guess. In China it is rather common. I will see what they do and maybe change them to a new pot next year. I saw pictures of them growing tree like in full ground, but I have to stick to pots, so I will have to keep them bonzai size.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
They most likely will not flower unless you give the roots enough room to grow. They also need at least 6 hours of direct sun during summer. If you keep them indoors, I would suggest a grow light, like many who live in colder climates use. Otherwise they will just grow very tall and skinny, usually do not branch out, and probably won't develop flower stalks - commonly referred to as "inflos".

I really suggest putting them outside, until night time temps reach down to below 45F.

If you are into Facebook, there is a terrific group called "Plumeria Growers", which is a great resource for all sorts of information about plumerias.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image