Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38901 May 7th, 2007 at 06:07 AM
OP Offline
Hello, I am new and this is my first post, wondering if my ajuga groundcover should be in evidence by now, I am in Boston area, zone 6,and had a thriving if small ajuga bed past 2 years, this would be its 3rd year and absolutely no sign of it, with a border of hosta peeking through. Hmmm...should I worry? We had a low snowfall winter and I did not mulch the plants! Also- the bed was much wetter than usual due to a late freeze. I love bugleweed and thought it was bulletproof but maybe not?

WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Hi there and welcome! I love ajuga also, and I live in Maine, zone 4/5. I have experienced the same thing in years past, just an odd winter. I do leave the leaves on my patch now in the fall and rake off in the spring. Last winter I lost a lot, but this year it looks good, even filling in areas that were lost last year. Yes, you should be seeing signs of it now, mine are budding and should be in full bloom in the next couple weeks. I would be surprised if you've lost the entire patch, and if there are any that have survived they will spread and multiply for next year. The stragglers may not bloom this year. Best of luck to you!

[Linked Image]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
When I go home I'll have to look at mine. I'm in Z5. I know they aren't close to bloom, that I would have noticed.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Here are mine today
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image