Print Thread
Rate Thread
#388759 Jul 1st, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Japanese Beetles to be exact. They are all over everything. I need to know how to deal with them. I did a little research on google, but most people were just talking about things that didn't work for them. I need to know what WILL work.

Can they kill trees/shrubs/plants?

Thanks everyone!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I know they will eat corn plants until no end. I'm not sure about larger items.....they are hard to get rid of. Most times picking them by hand is the only option in a garden. I find that I can kind of predict what kind of year I'll have by what kind of grubs I find in the garden soil.

Hoping someone comes along soon.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Japanese Beetles are THE WORST ! at least in my opinion.

At "the farm" I had a terrible time with them. I am so dsad to think about it. I had several beautiful crops of blackberries that never got past the green fruit stage because the JB came in & ate the fruit and the leaves of the plant.

My Husband used to spray with malathion (and I know some people do not like to use that) and it helped. but you need to do that (as I remember) before they come. and if it rains, you need to redo it. Plus also as I remember, I think you cannot do it like 2 weeks before harvest of fruit.

I will go and look some today & get back to you.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sunny is right...a natural way to rid yourself of the J. Beetles is to go out early in the morning, place a plastic sheet down & shake the plant. (the beetles will have dew on their wings early in the AM and cannot fly away so easily) then drown the beetles you get in a pail of soapy water. In the fall rake up your a*garden soil so that starlings can easily eat the grubs, thus cutting down on the adult beetles the next year.
Also, plant cloves of garlic around the perimeter of your garden. Beetles do not care for garlic.

Other insecticides are products that contain the chemical cyfluthrin, bifenthrin, deltamethrin and permethrin.

Read labels carefully as different products are used at different times. Plus as I mentioned in my previous post, you need to be aware of the time span between spraying an insecticide and harvesting your crop.

Avoid planting roses, linden, grapes, sassafras, Hollyhocks and horse chestnut as beetles love these.
A local plant nursery could help you chose plants that the Beetles would not harm.

personally, I would not use the beetle traps. IMO, they draw more beetles than they trap.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I agree on the traps. They draw more to your area.
The things that the others have said are good ways to control them. But a simple way is to use a spray with dish detergent in it. You have to reapply after it rains and things but the beetles do not like it and will move on. And milky spore in your lawn will kill of any grubs in early spring.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions. It's funny in a way. I have gardened for 'years' and don't ever recall being attacked by them the way I am this year. But, I also have a lot more this year. I think I may have mentioned in another post that I over bought a bit this year. hehe

I am not opposed to using chemicals to get rid of the little boogers. I am, however, interested in something that will prevent them in years to come. A friend of mine sent me a link that had some useful information. Along with a list of plants they find most tasty. And of course, I have 90% of what's on the list.

Have any of you ever tried Milky Spore? I think this is the route I am going to go later this summer.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have not tried it because I have not needed it. I have no lawn. But in my reading, it would be the way that I'd go. And I'd use simpler spray this year.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #388822 Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:37 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina makes good points..
DO keep us updated on how things go for you. Good Luck !!!

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Be very careful when using detergent. I mixed it wrong one year and burnt the leaves.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I did that once too. a little squirt per quart is enough. Any more than that, you can burn the leaves badly.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #389443 Aug 28th, 2015 at 01:00 PM
(My FIRST post here!) shewinks
I think this is good advice from Tina. Nothing easier and more economical than trying a little liquid Ivory soap and water in a spray bottle..my brother taught me that years ago to eliminate aphids on houseplants. I plan to try it next late June on roses outdoors (treat them once a week or so)..before the JB's arrive in July...

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thankfully this year, maybe because it's been so dry, we haven't had a gigantic beetle problem. I just knock them off and step on them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image