Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Is there any kind of program that you know of that will allow you to list the plants you have and it will spit out a diagram of how it would look nicest? I know this sounds extremely lazy... but I'm not lazy. I'm just lacking the skill to make what I have look good. I am totally in love with landscaping. Everywhere we go, I'm always looking at all the landscaping. It seriously makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling.

But, as I try to decide what to do with the plants, flowers and shrubs I have, and how to arrange some in my garden areas, I'm at a loss. Can anyone give me any insight please?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't know of any single program that works that way. Nor any plants that will consistently live up to its specs. A large part of gardening is trial and error. And rearranging things. I've never been satisfied completely by any single garden area. And just ended up leaving it to Mother Nature to fix things her way.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tina. I figured it was a shot in the dark. I'm just not feeling very confident with plant/shrub placement. The whole design element of it.

My boyfriend is in a hurry to gt everything in the ground, regardless. Which irritates me. I'm more of a thinker and planner. Idk. *feeling depressed*

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thinking and planning are fun to do. But you have to be flexible too. You can plan a beautiful line of purple perennials, 16-18 inches high and evenly spaced, along the middle of your bed. A row of nice little marigolds in front of them and a row of pink and white Hollyhocks behind. When it comes time to bloom one two of the Hollyhocks have completely disappeared and one is white bloom. One of the lovely purple things has come up a dwarf and another is a nauseating color unlike the rest. And a couple of your nice border of marigolds have gone ape and become waist high shrubs obscuring everything behind them. (But the nauseating one still shows.)
Plan away. Just be ready to go with the flow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Tina said it best...try as you may, you'll never get the perfect landscaping like you see in photos.

When I first started out I drew a map of the area and played with it on paper before getting out the shovel....even after all of that I still found myself digging up and moving things years after. lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Play "Paper Dolls" with your garden... Draw a diagram of the space, draw and cut out shapes to represent everything you want to utilize, then move them around and try to visualize them in that space.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image