Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#387917 May 16th, 2015 at 06:31 AM
OP Offline
I hope this is the right place for this post...

So I have two perfect spots for hanging decorative plants just out my front door, and so far both plants I tried have died or are dying. I don't know what the first plant was, but I currently have some very sad looking pansies out there. They've drooped, and show no signs of recovery, no matter what I do. I think it has just gotten too hot for them, to be honest, and it's only just May!

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of plants that grow well year round in hanging pots? Or is that wishful thinking on my part? It would have to be something that doesn't get large, and preferably something hard to kill. lol

Last edited by Conkey2k; May 16th, 2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: typo
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
WAter is a big thing.. They dry out fast hanging.
Pansies is mostly cool weather plant an shade lover..

Plants that do well in baskets, Petunias.......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And it all depends on how much sun they get too. Are your planters hanging in the sun or shaded by the porch?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Since they started drooping, I've been watering them a lot. For a couple weeks they perked back up with water, but now they don't anymore.

They are sort of in half sun. The pots hang in cut outs on an outer wall, so the side facing out gets lots of sun, and the side facing in gets no direct light. I've been hoping rotating the way they hang every time I water would help with the uneven light problem.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ok, then it might be too warm for pansies. I know of nothing that will bloom all year long for you. You could go with the petunias suggested by Dodge. Or any other summer blooming plant. You could get some really nice hardy ferns or something. Or succulents like donkey tails that you would need to bring in for winter. There are lots of options out there. The only thing I would suggest is always rotate whatever you do put there.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #387929 May 16th, 2015 at 09:15 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Ferns don't like sun

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm in NC and unless the pansys are in the shade it has already gotten too hot for them to grow here and I imagine in TN too. And dodge is right about the ferns. In the south they need shade and to be kept watered. Petunias are great for our hot, humid weather and so is portulaca. They won't bloom all year but will look nice for a long time.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm planning to keep up periodic plant maintenance in my home. Can you suggest some periodic plants that can be grown in my home, both indoor and outdoor plants. I found an article describing those http://www.rbcclean.com/blog/indoor-plants/3-tips-to-keeping-up-with-periodic-plant-maintenance/. Has anyone grown them?? Are they easy to maintain?? Are there any special requirements to grow them?? Any suggestions regarding this are greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance. i would like to hang them in my home so that it'll give my home a better appearance.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image