Print Thread
Rate Thread
#387711 May 7th, 2015 at 01:50 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I bought some beautiful dark red dianthus, not sure the exact type, but it's still in the pots I got it in. All the foliage has turned yellow and it looks just terrible. I did some googling, and apparently I'm drowning it and frying it... too much sun.

So, my question is, can I save it? If so, how?

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Do you have to keep it in pots?? I planted mine out in the yard. IF you want to keep it in the pots, do you have an east facing porch you could keep it on/under, for some protection ?

I know my east facing porch is about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than my west facing deck. Things on my porch (east) do much better. Also, how much water are you giving the dianthus & how often ???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I'm not leaving it in the pots. I just haven't put it in the ground yet. We are building a front porch and I've been collecting some plants here and there that I want to use in the landscaping.

They look a bit better today.. not the yellow parts. It's too far gone, but the green on it seems to be perkier. I had it out in the yard getting full sun. I pulled it back to my Eastern flower bed, so we'll see how it does there. I'm also cutting back on the water. I tend to 'over-do' everything. "If a little water is good, soaking it is better." I still have A LOT to learn. why

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Yea, This time of year (the spring) I look at my potted plants each evening (or EARLY morning). IF the seem a bit "wilty" I water them, if not I leave them alone. In the heat of the summer, I sometimes water every evening. BUT I have read that when in the ground one GOOD soaking a week is sufficient. Like I said. watch your plants & take your watering queue from them.

Trim back the yellow parts of your plants if you think those pieces will not come back.

I have been gardening for years & I still have a lot to learn.
We can all learn together.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I am very anxious to get everything in the ground. I know it will do much better. I will go ahead and trim all the yellow off of them.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice and the kind words.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
A little liquid fertilizer helps get the shock off the plants. I put some on each root before I close the holes.
Don't overdo it tho.
I am so glad to see the sun here ..81 last few days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Good news, I moved them to the East side of the house and stopped watering it so much... and they are looking much, much better. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't put it in full sun, as I had originally planned. I always thought they WERE full sun plants. Oh well.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Wonderful
I have some in full sun an some in part shade ..Both seem happy.. I don't water them only when its very dry........Lots of rainy days coming here for a week.. Hot an musty too.80. ugg

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Yes, I'm pretty happy about it. And maybe it wasn't so much the sun but too much water. I'll try them in sun. I'm also happy to report my dianthus I bought around Valentine's day, that is listed as an annual, is reblooming. I bought them due to their pretty color with plans to save them for summer and replant them. Even if they do end up dying, (annual), it would be nice if they turn out to be hardy. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image