Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#285242 Jun 10th, 2009 at 06:38 PM
Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
This is a tutorial I created for the old forum, to help guide new members through their visit to A Gardener's Forum. I will work on fixing the images and links over the next few days....

Tutorial:
I've tried to set up features on the Gardener's Forum to make it as easy as possible to navigate through the pages, find help and have fun. Many members, old and new, seem to be unaware of what they can do here, so I will try to explain some of the features to you. You may find the //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/faq.html helpful if I don't explain these features quite as well as I should.... Please keep in mind that I have chosen not to enable every feature (such as member ratings)

1. At the top of each page you will find the Garden Helper masthead. This will allow you to explore and wander through the pages of the site without getting too lost. There are links on the masthead to take you to different areas of the site, and with a click you can always transport yourself right back to the forum!
  2. Directly below the banner ad, you will find a "Garden Search" box. This search enables you to look for informational pages which has already been compiled, as well as named photos and other pertinent stuff found in the main part of The Garden Helper.
  3. If you have already entered one of the forums you may find a New Topic or a Post Reply button, so you can add your comments. These buttons also appear at the bottom of each topic page.
  4. The information bar includes:

1. Profile/Messages... From here you can edit most of the information which you created in your profile as well as send and receive private messages if you have enabled this feature in your profile.
  2. The Registration button enables "drop in" visitors to quickly register if they decide that they have something pertinent to add to the forum. (You must be a registered member to post new topics or to reply to existing ones....)
  3. The Forum Search will only search through the posts and replies on individual forums or the entire Gardener's Forum. It can be very helpful inasmuch as you won't have to ask questions that have already been answered in depth! You can also search for posts by member number.
  4. The FAQ page may answer any questions that I haven't covered here!
  5. The Gardener's Forum.... takes you back to the start category page of the forum.

• The welcome bar shows you where you are in the forum. i.e: The Gardener's Forum > Plant pests and problems > Word of advice.... > Post A Reply This enables you to go back to any of the sub-areas without going all the way back to the start page. On the startup page this bar area contains a link to all new topics posted since midnight, the total number of members and who the newest member of the forum is!
  • There are twenty one different publicforums (so far) which cover different areas of gardening, games, photos and plain old friendly chat. If you are posting a new topic, please try to use the most appropriate forum for your question. Don't ask how to care for your Philodendron under the "Lawn care problems". Some members may only browse through "Houseplants" and consequently may never have the chance to answer your question! Likewise... I've noticed that a topic may suddenly change to a completely new subject. While this is a minor thing, some members may miss out on some helpful information when the quickly browse the topics and think that because the topic of "Daylilies" doesn't interest them there is no point in reading it, when in reality there may be more info about Roses that has been posted in that topic than there is about Daylilies. For the benefit of other members, please don't be afraid to start a "New Topic" if you would like to change the subject!
  • A couple of the forums are for my own use when it comes to "Posting New Topics" but you are always welcome to post a reply with your thoughts and comments!

1. On the entry page, the first column before the forum titles includes a rose.
    An open rose indicates that there have been new posts since your last visit.
    A rose bud indicates that you've already read all the posts in that forum!
  2. The links to pages and posts that you have already visited will be in red, new posts and pages are in blue...

When you are adding a new topic or posting your replies...

1. Try to provide an interest catching subject!
  2. The message Icons may help to portray the mood of your post.
  3. As you post your message, you can add up to EIGHT (maximum of the instant Graemlins with a quick click. If you want them to appear in the middle of your post, be sure to add them as you type your message. If you try to add them after you've finished, they will all show up at the bottom of the message!
  4. Instant UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) codes allow you to add URLs, images, and other highlights easily. A java script pop-up will help you with these features. Images will only show up if you have added a complete URL to the image! UBB code is an alternate to HTML because I don't allow members to use HTML (it's too easy to screw up a page if you make an error in HTML) There is more UBB coding available that isn't included with the "Instant UBB". Go to http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ubb_code_page to learn more!
  5. At the bottom of the posting page, you will have the option of Email Notification (if you have enabled this in your profile); Show Signature (if you provided one in your profile) and disabling the use of smilies in your post.
  6. Members may edit their own posts but they may not delete them (You can opt to edit your post and remove all the text if you'd like)!

Each post or topic begins with the members info line.

1. The User name...
  2. The time and date the original message was posted
  3. Profile Link - The users profile... where you can View Recent Posts, Send New Private Messages, Add to Your Ignore List, or Add to Your Buddy List
  4. Homepage - View their homepage (if they have one)
  5. Private Message - Send them a private message.
  6. Quote - Use this link to quote the original post when you are replying. (this may be helpful when you want to specify who you are directing your response to)

OK? What did I miss?
:rolleyes:

OOPS!
* I didn't mention the " UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!" link.
This is a fast and easy way to send any useful information that you might find here, to a friend. Perhaps a flower photo they'd like? This only sends a pre-formatted, short message from you, telling the recipient that you think they might like whatever is on that particular page, and provides a clickable link for them. No-one has to become a member to benefit from all the shared knowledge that can be found here, but who knows? They may become our newest member!

** You member status is automatically up-rated from Gardener to Garden Helper when you post (or reply to) your 11th message

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup i had forgotten this bill. i'm glad you brought it over.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
actually it is very good information for everyone to re read every once in awhile.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Thank You...A nice good descriptive guide to have while using this forum...

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
up

Thank You very much...I am new to this forum and the above guide is very very useful to the newbies...

This is very helpful. Thank you so much

Thank You. It's always good to know what your doing.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Were all mentors on here.......of many modes.

Read the beginning pages..........If that isnt enough????????????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I didn't know some of this stuff or if I did I forgot it. Thanks.

Thank you! Very helpful to us newbies :)

Thanx for the tutorial. I should have read it first ! I spent a lot of time trying to figgure out how to post a question - Now I know !

Granny in Canada

thank you for you care.

Anyone able to give me a source for live Aloe Plants in Idaho I wish to buy 3" potted plants to resell this summer. Anyone?

thanks for the info wish me luck ... cause I have a few questions on a couple of my plants

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
flwr

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Good Stuff, thanks

I'm so excited about gardening I wet my plants
I'm new so seeing that there is a tutorial that you have taken the time to make available is so appreciated. I won't read it tonight, but I will save it to my Watched Topics.....I came here looking for help in identifying garden pests and found so much more!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
laker--Howdy !! nice to meet you. Welcome to The Gardeners Forum.

We will be happy to help you when you feel the time is right...

Have you been down to the "Plant pests & Problems" Forum ?? perhaps you will find that helpful.

________

Thank You. It's Really helpful.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thumbup

________

Thank you for posting this info. this is a great help for me.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thumbup Welcome

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image